Saturday, November 18, 2023

We Are Family


 “But you can't plead with autumn. No. The midnight wind stalked through the woods, hooted to frighten you, swept everything away for the approaching winter, whirled the leaves. ("The North")”
 
~Yevgeny Zamyatin,
  We
 
The mating dance of the Sandhill Crane. It's one of my favorite things about the birds. I get to see the ritual as it unfolds, and speaking of unfolding, aren't their wings impressive? That is a picture of two adult cranes with a juvenile in the center. I am hoping to get more photos of the kid cranes, but as yet I haven't spotted many. This has been a strange time for spotting birds. They just aren't coming in very fast. I spotted just a single snow goose the other day, and the mergansers haven't arrived in Smith Canal yet. I haven't read anything about the avian flu that struck the birds in the last year, in a while. I suppose I should go have a look see. Although, I am sure I want to know what the article might say.
 





No comments: