Monday, September 11, 2023

It's Not Here Yet, But It's Close

 

"Autumn seemed to arrive early that year. The morning of the September was crisp and golden as an apple."
 
~J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows
 
 It's almost the mid point of September, so you know I am awaiting, anxiously, the arrival of the Sandhill cranes. I wake up every day, listening intently for their chatter as they fly over, but I know they just aren't there yet, but on a happy note, some water fowl that has arrived, and its the gorgeous Canada geese! What a treat! Cosumnes Preserve finally released water on Desmond road, and there was a small variety of other water foul swimming and enjoying the sun. In addition to the Canada Geese, there were Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Black-backed Stilt, Shovelors, and Northern Pintail, Brewer's Blackbirds, and I thought I spotted a Turkey Vulture or two! 
 



Woodbridge has some water too, but not nearly as much as Desmond road, still there was enough to attract a small flock of White-faced Ibis. I love them, but unfortunately they were a little too far away to get a really good picture. Soon. Every bird in it's time... right? And even the last of summer sunflowers are hanging on! I love that the highway hangs onto their beauties for so long, because they really are one of this prettiest part of the season. I was just telling hubby that one of the things that keeps me connected out here, is the nature... not necessarily the people. Sigh. But here I sit, happily awaiting one of the best things on earth, the return of the beautiful Sandhill cranes, and I am A-okay.
 

 

No comments: