Sunday, November 01, 2020

Blue Ties

 

"Happiness is to get lost in an autumn forest,
 and not to be found is an even greater one."
 
~Mehmet Murat ildan
 
Two days to go, more or less.
 
I have been having a recurring dream for three years. It has never varied in all that time. Trump is standing at the window of the Oval Office, just staring outside. Emotionless. I can see the reflection of the day in his eyes. Its a clear day. Sunny. Blue sky. He turns and walks across the room, where he locks the door to his office. As Melania starts to walk in through a door to Trump's left, he shoves her back out and locks that door too. He walks back to his desk and pulls a plastic can of gas from underneath, and proceeds to empty its contents in a circle around the room. He walks back to his desk, takes a long sip of Diet Coke, throws the can at a painting on the wall behind him of a man on a horse, and then strikes a match, and sets fire to the Oval Office.
 
 The dream is pretty vivid, but no detail is more vivid than the fact that he is wearing a blue tie. For some reason, that part of the dream feels like the most frightening part. It's fairly easy to figure out. He has been setting fire to the presidency since day one, but that blue tie must have some other meaning, because even right now, as I sit in my office, feeling comfortable and unafraid, I feel uneasy sharing that specific detail. I have had the dream many times since 2017, so you would think I'd be used to it by now. It's the minds way of processing things, that can't be dealt with in the clear light of day.
 But I am sure you can imagine how I felt that day last summer, when Trump did his melodramatic photo op with the Bible at, St. John's Church, in Washington, D.C., to prove how big and brave he was. He was wearing a blue tie that day, that was uncomfortably similar to the one in my dream. 

Well that stunt, using God, pushing the church's pastor around, not only using the Bible as a prop, but holding it upside down, did nothing for him, or his approval ratings, and no one that I know of, found it to be particularly manly. It failed miserably, as it should have! But that stupid stunt worked in one aspect, it scared the shit out of me because of that fucking tie! He wanted to scare someone,  anyone, and he succeeded, even if it was just me. He's irrational. How do you stop being afraid of an irrational person with nuclear codes and no sense of humor? Okay, I know, I'm the one being irrational right now, fretting over a blue tie, but GOD I pray he isn't wearing it on election night. Or any other day until after Joe Biden is sworn in as the 46th President of the United States, on January 21st, 2021.
 
Vanity Fair
 

 

~Carly
Stockton, California
November 1st 2020

No comments: