Friday, April 11, 2014

Smart Technology Verses Human Dumbness



"We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works."

~Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

What a day yesterday was! When I woke up, and logged online, one of my email accounts began self generating emails and sending them to folks in my address book. Fortunately I realized it soon, and contained it. Changed all my passwords. Ran multiple virus and malware scans. And deleted the original email the started the whole mess to begin with! 

I knew as soon as I saw the mess, exactly where it came from. It can from the insurance carrier who handles my car insurence! Frankly... I am mad at myself, because when I asked them to send me over a quote on how much the new car would add to my overall payment, there was a strange attachment. It indicated a photo, which I assumed was part of the brochure, and when it loaded empty, I just didn't put two and two together. 

I know better.

Anyway luckily the offensive email opened in my business account, which has very few direct contacts. So, the virus sent emails, sometimes multiple times, but they ended up bouncing back as undeliverable.A lucky break? Well, yes and no. You see, when I jumped onto the WWW I did a lot of reading about online safety, and took those pointers to heart. One such being that it is never wise to do business out of an account you share social media with.

Keep friends and business separate.

So, all's well that ends well.

Mostly.

My brand new Samsung Galaxy tablet arrived yesterday, amid all the fun, but somehow it just doesn't thrill me! I have been wanting a tablet for a long time, so when I got that included in an offer from AT&T when I signed up for broadband and Uverse, I jumped at the offer. It was going to save us a few dollars every month, and it included a nifty tablet and a $100 gift card. Win... Win. But as it sat in it's box on my desk, I couldn't help but wonder what new wonderful trouble might come by way of it. 

Hmmm?

Still... it's a cute little thing, and I have ordered a new leather case for it, so I am sure I will get over the grr. I will. 

But you know... sometimes...

Mood: Not Happy But It Will Pass

~Me


1 comment:

jr cline said...

Technology can be a pain at times. I occasionally get a virus that ruins my morning. I use an iPad mini for my tablet.