Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Sunset In The Twilight Of Winter...


Pacifica, California 2/25/2014

"Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour."

~John Bosworth

I spent Tuesday afternoon chasing public art around San Francisco. Both a new installation in the downtown area, and the natural art that is the beauty of the coastline along HWY 1. In previous winters, I have done the majority of my winter sunset photography from atop Grizzly Peak in Berkeley, but this year I have been fascinated by the sun setting over the ocean. I guess it's the feeling of life, and the sunset, going on forever, even though I know that night does indeed come in it's own time. 

This sunset wasn't quiet as colorful as other ones I have seen, but there was something about the muted gold, the soft blue, and the glint of silver that captured my imagination. I loved this sunset for it's gentleness, and quiet beauty. Some sunsets are so bright and colorful that it almost seems like it's shouting at you, but this one was but a whisper.

The clouds were a prelude to yesterday's downpour. It rained yesterday... hard and fast. It is such good news for the Bay Area. Finally a little relief from the relentless sunshine, and unseasonable warmth. I had been looking forward to the dark, rainy winter, but this year winter seemed more like a mild summer, than a winter. I didn't get to wear my favorite coat, or many of the sweaters that I love so much. And the thing is, I know I should feel grateful, I know other folks across the country have been cursed with unrelenting snow, but if only I could have had a little bit of the snow, I would have shared all the sunshine I could. 

Funny how things work out sometimes.

Oh well, the spring will be here soon enough.

A Sunset In The Twilight Of Winter...

Montara Beach February 25th 2014


Half Moon Bay February 25th 2014






There are several more storms due in this week, including one on Friday, which will be lingering into Saturday, when I plan to be on a boat in San Francisco Bay. Personally, I hope it pours... I can't wait! :)

Mood: Quiet

~Me :)

No comments: