Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty (A Movie Review)



"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all by yourself from the clues."

~Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures



Yesterday, Alan and I went to see, The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty. What a great movie! We both thoroughly enjoyed it! It wasn't at all like the original Danny Kaye version of the Thurber short story, this definitely took the story in a more modern direction, but frankly, I liked it better than the original musical. And I don't mean to be presumptuous here, but I bet Thurber would have liked it better also! I actually heard a while back, I think on AMC, that Thurber hated the Danny Kaye version, especially because of the music. It didn't really fit. Music wasn't a part of the story he was trying to tell. And I get that, although don't you sometimes miss those wonderful old musicals? Just maybe that story shouldn't have been made into a musical. The author knows best... right? Just ask Stephen King. He hated what Hollywood did with The Shining, but years later he got to be more hands on with the TV version, and was very happy with the outcome. He got to see his vision come to life the way he meant it to be.

Anyway, I liked this version of the Thurber story very much. It was well done, and it was truly visually stunning. As an amateur photographer, it made me jealous that I couldn't have stepped into the movie with my cameras, and snapped away at all the beauty I was seeing. The story was sentimental, and yeah predictable, but it was like another movie that I loved, Big Year. Both were quiet, lovely storytelling, and I guess by today's goer standard... unsophisticated. No loud car chases. No CGI. No obnoxiously loud music used to make the movie's point. Instead actual dialog did the storytelling. Well done, dialog, acting, and gorgeous cinematography. Sigh. I guess I am hopelessly un-hip... wait... is that still a thing? To be un-hip? LOL. Being an old fogy will never go out of style will it?

I am giving my age away here aren't I? Well, I will just say... GO SEE THE MOVIE!

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty


I give it 4 out of 5 kernels of popcorn.

Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: