Friday, September 13, 2013

Art About Town: San Francisco... "Untitled Sphere" And "Hermes And Dionysos: A Momument To Analysis"


"Untitled Sphere"
By Fritz Koenig
333 Battery St.
San Francisco, California
September 4th, 2013

"Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here. Make. Good. Art."

~Neil Gaiman

I have to say upfront... I LOVE these two sculptures! They have kind of become like old friends in a way! You see, when Alan and I are in the downtown area of San Francisco, and we know we are going home by way of the Bay Bridge, we usually drive past both sculptures on our way to the bridge. No matter how the day has gone, or the week for that matter, I always know that on my way home, I will get to see these two sculptures, and I will have a chance to contemplate the artist's inspiration. I love public art. I love sculpture, but not all pieces I see speak to me, but these two do! There is just something about seeing both of them that makes my day better.

Fritz Koenig, is was the artist behind the famous "Untitled Sphere" that once stood in the plaza between the World Trade Center Twin Towers in Manhattan. The sculpture was heavily damaged on that horrible day, 9/11, but it wasn't completely destroyed. Today it stands, in it's current state, damaged, but resilient, in Manhattan's Battery Park. I kinda appreciate that! Although I wish it had been returned to it's original space, and was a part of the official 9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero. One day, if I am ever lucky enough to cross Manhattan off my Bucket List, I want to see the WTC sphere for myself. It's a monument of strength, of rising from the ashes, damaged, but not broken.

Art heals.

Like an old friends, that you know so well, and fully understand with words getting in the way!


"Hermes And Dionysos: Monument To Analysis"
By Arman
411 Sansome Street
San Francisco, California
September 4th, 2013

"We dance for laughter, we dance for tears, we dance for madness, we dance for fears, we dance for hopes, we dance for screams, we are the dancers, we create the dreams."

~Albert Einstein

Mood: Happy

~Me :)


No comments: