Sunday, March 24, 2013

Eat. Play. Love.



"The cat has complete emotional honesty... an attribute not often found in humans."

~Ernest Hemingway

My goodness, I think Hendrix has caught my cold. Since I first found this lousy illness, about a month ago, he has been a constant companion, just like his brother Dylan. In fact, both he and his brother have been keeping my feet and my shoulder quite warm as I sleep.

I am loved.

But unfortunately, I think Hendrix, and possibly Dylan, have caught the cold.

I know there are some illnesses that can be shared between fur-babies and their human parents, one of them being the H1N1 flu. According to Petside, there were 10 documented cases of that particular flu having been shared between pets and owners. Yet other websites claim that there is not enough evidence to say for sure about the possibility of transmitting a simple cold to a cat, but careful hygiene while around your kitty cat friend is strongly encouraged.

Hendrix has been lethargic, uninterested, and generally displaying an extremely quiet demeanor, which is not his usual self. Hendrix is the more playful of the two. He LOVES to look for the red laser dot, and follow his favorite mice on a stick. He is loads of fun, but while play is important, so is LOVE and EATING. They are the only two things that he will consider stop playing for. His priorities are EAT. PLAY. LOVE. So, when he stopped playing the last couple of days, you can imagine how much it worried me.

The good news is that he has been eating small amounts of food, and cleaning his fur. He is using his box regularly and on time. And when pushed, he will at least follow the laser mouse with his eyes. There is a part of me that thinks Hendrix might be simply tired out from taking care of Alan and I. He walks both of us to the bathroom, and he comes and sits with me when the coughing gets so bad I feel like I am going to stop breathing. On some level he is worried about that also I think, yet he will not let me go through it alone, which pretty much makes him my best friend. :)

Last night we fed him a half a jar of his favorite baby food, Chicken in Chicken Gravy, Gerber's #2. He seemed to perk up a bit after that, which lifted my spirits more than I can tell you! Dylan and Hendrix both are due to visit Dr. Barrett for their annual checkups soon, so I think I will schedule them for this week. It's always good to touch base with Dr. B., he is a great man, and actually he is considered a hero to our family! One day Dr. B. will retire, and I don't even want to think of what we will do. I wouldn't take my little boys to just any pediatrician!

Ooops... I mean veterinarian.

NO, I mean pediatrician. Well, veterinarian/pediatrician

Yes. That's accurate.

Yes. (Insert nodding head here)

Think good thoughts for my boys... okay? :)

Mood: Happy but concerned.

~Me :)

1 comment:

jr cline said...

Awww
Your babies are sick. I can tell you are make sure they are ok.
That picture is wonderful
Sorry I've been absent so long. Life intervened.