Saturday, January 05, 2013

Embarcadero Center Art Walk #1 "Blocks" + Finding Faces In Unusual Places



"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."

~Edgar Degas


(Blocks, Anne Van Kleeck, 1971 Bronze)


It's time to revisit my love of public art! A couple weeks ago, while Alan and I were at the Embarcadero Center in San Francisco, I had the opportunity to not just photograph the happenings at the Holiday Ice Rink, but to also take in some of the public art that peppers the Embarcadero Center! It's been way too long since I spent any time searching out public art installations around the bay, so I am thrilled to be able to revisit one of my favorite subjects! While the photographs in this post are   technically a part my 2012 collection of photos, I had planned to post them sometime after the new year, so they are new to 2013! Shrug... ;)

Finding Faces In Unusual Places...

Okay, now for a little fun! Tell me, do you see the face? Go ahead, take a good look before scrolling down. I see a face. Alan saw a face in a different place than I did. And the face he saw was kinda spooky, and now I see that one also! How about you? Do you see a face? How about two faces? Three maybe?



"I want to meet a guy named Art. Take him to a museum, hang him on the wall, criticize him, and leave."

~Jarod Kintz, I Want

I love finding faces! 2012 was a very good year for finding faces in unusual places. Thank goodness they were friendly... right? Because I would rather not find demonic ones that people on shows about the supernatural tend to see! LOL! But on the other hand, I have always wanted to see a ghost!

Hmmm... Whimsy? Or Spooky? Whimsy? Or Spooky?

Couldn't we all use a little more Wimsy?

The Embarcadero Center Art Walk has 19 pieces of art. This is the first of the series. I hope to post a new photo about every couple weeks or so. I will also be seeking public art around the bay, and bring you many different views! If you decide to do your own series on public art, please let me know! Leave me the link in the comment thread so I can come by and see what you come up with!

~Happiness!

Click to download a copy of the Embarcadero Art Walk Self Guided Tour!

~Me :)

No comments: