Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Day After The Day The World Didn't End



"If the world were merely seductive, the would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

~E.B. White

Last Friday was supposed to be the end. And not just the end, it was supposed to be THE END OF ALL THINGS. Sigh. I have had mixed thoughts about that. On the one hand, there was a side to me that would be thankful to never have to hear hateful retoric. I could be happy to never hear about the murder of any child ever again, or justifications and excuses about why there is nothing that can be done to get assault weapons off the street.

On the other hand I would love to live long enough to see the world change for the better. I would be happy to just be able to see as many amazing sunsets as possible, and photograph as many cats and kittens as possible. Now that I have flown in a single engine Cessna, I want to fly in a helocoptor. That would be awesome. But to be able to do those things, the world must go on.

So, the question is...

Is it worth it? Is the world not ending worth it?

I don't know...

But I know my camera never lies to me.

With camera in hand, here is what I saw on December 21st, & 22nd 2012.

12/21/12
 


12/22/12






:)




What is it about watching other people have fun, that makes you feel all warm and happy inside? I saw parents with their children ice skating, and smiling. Happiness was all around. I think there was definitely a lot of love everywhere I went, and an air of gratefulness about being able to hold your family close. It's more than understandable, in fact isn't it what this time of year is all about? It made me sad to look up at the clock on the Ferry building, and see the American flag still flying at half staff, and know that the last of those children were buried yesterday, but it really warmed my soul and lifted my spirits to see all that love between families, being shared with everyone who stopped long enough to notice.

I noticed. The clock, and the passage of time, had quite a message.

:)

And as that one particular dad and daughter, who careened out of control on the ice and came barreling at me at great speed, we three were already laughing as they hit the side of the rink up close and personal with me. LOL. Strangers 30 seconds earlier, now friends in humor, and shared smiles.

Who would have thought that the END OF THE WORLD could result in such life affirming joy?

"Where there is love there is life."

~Mahatma Gandhi

~Happiness!





No comments: