Thursday, December 13, 2012

It's Not That He's Wrong, It's That He's Not Right :)



"I am all for curses and superstition, but there's a point at which they start getting in the way. That point had arrived."

"Curses are like chickens, they always come home to roost."

~Proverb

My friend Paul came by yesterday and left his opinion about what December 10th is about, for me, and in general. His opinion isn't wrong. It's true that sometimes we mortals tend to put more belief and emphasis on things that can't be proven. Faith is a lot like that. Faith can be a good thing or a bad thing, and it cane be neither one of those things. Sometimes faith just is what it is. Speaking for me, I think I take a lot of things on faith. I have faith in the chair I am sitting on right now to hold me up. I have faith in the fact that the very next thing out of Sarah Palin's mouth with be idiotic, bordering on moronic. I have faith that if I punch that punkass little shit neighbor next door I will be arrested. I have faith that God loves me. I have faith that my friends are there for me. I have faith in Alan, and that we will be married forever, regardless of any silly curse.

And along with all that specific faith in things good and bad, I have faith that next year something odd, probably financial, with occur on or very near December 10th.

Why? You ask.

Well, because tonight Alan received a call from our bank's fraud department, which called to tell us someone was trying to purchase $2 in gas from an Exxon station in North Carolina.

When you have gone to your local sheriffs department 2 years in a row, within a day or so of December 10th, after having experienced 20 some odd years of strange occurrences in and around that date, when do you give in and say... okay... it's a thing. The Curse Of December 10th is a thing.

Paul couldn't be more right about what he said. We mortals do sometimes reach into the metaphysical or the mystical to explain away everything from our character flaws, to our poor decisions. But in my own defense, I have tried over the years to change my thinking. I have laughed at the occurrences. I have ignored the occurrences. Just last year, I had asked Alan if we could just take that day off to kind of hide a bit. He laughed and reminded me that even if something did happen, his being home wouldn't stop it.

It only took a moment for me to realize he was right. What could he do?

Well, as it turns out HE WAS WRONG.

Something did happen. Someone tried to charge a great deal of money, using an ATM card in my name with my number.

And it has happened again this year.

The odds of it happening in the exact same way, exactly a year apart, kinda gives me a bit of validation don't you think?

I don't know. I know there are lots of things that humans can't explain away, and yet I always find it humorous that folks refuse to believe in science and think it borders on heresy to believe that anyone or anything other than God makes the world go round.

Without getting too far into my beliefs and my faith, I believe that science absolutely created everything, and science and the ability to use it, came from GOD. The two thoughts DO NOT have to be mutually exclusive.

But back to December 10th.

It is what it is. Whatever it is. After 20 years of odd happenings I have learned to give it a proper amount of respect, and not be surprised by it when it happens. What else can I do? But I no longer shove it to the side as a coincidence.

It's not.

It's December 10th.

How many times does a person need to be hit over the head with an anvil before they say...

"OUCH."

So Paul, it's not that you are wrong, it's just that you aren't right. But thank you nice man, it's always good to hear from you! :)

"All of us have our individual curses, something that we are uncomfortable with and something that we have to deal with, like me making horror films, perhaps."

~Wes Craven

~Me :)



3 comments:

jr cline said...

I believe in science and I believe in magic. I believe they come together at the amazingly small and the astoundingly huge spots where humans search for truth and knowledge.
Like you, I find nothing exclusive about either.

Call me Paul said...

Are you trying to tell me that nothing odd, or weird, or inconvenient happens on any other day of the year? Are you trying to tell me that the odd things that happen on or around December 10th are worse than any other thing that happens all year? One of my favourite quotations is from Sir Francis Bacon:""And such is the way of all superstition, whether in astrology, dreams, omens, divine judgments, or the like; wherein men, having a delight in such vanities, mark the events where they are fulfilled, but where they fail, though this happen much oftener, neglect and pass them by." I'd love to see a list of the bad things that have happened to you on each and every December 10th in the last twenty years.

Carly said...

Hi Paul :)

I don't think I have ever said that nothing bad has happened to me on any other day of the year. My dad died in August, I was in a car crash with my brother in September, my dear brother-in-law passed away in February. I am simply saying that as random as life can be, good or bad, sometimes life can be full of patterns as well.

This is something I have lived. It's my experience. I never said you must believe it, thats up to you. But no one gets to invalidate my experience, especially in that you haven't been around to see it.

Believe me, don't believe me. Shrug. Don't care. My last word on the subject. Now excuse me, I am off to fill out a police report yet again.

:)