Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rusty Ice And Roses In November



"Everyone needs a warm personal enemy or two to keep him free from rust in the movable parts of his mind."

~Gene Fowler

Do I like Ice Plant? Do I not like Ice Plant? I like the pretty purple flowers that bloom in spring, and are still around in late summer. I LOVE the gorgeous earthy tones in autumn. But on the other hand, you can pack a picnic lunch and go sit in a patch of Ice Plant. Also, you can't pick a bouquet of those pretty flowers and put them in a vase. Although you can enjoy the loveliness of the plant as you drive up and down the coast of California. Plus... if your car runs off the road while you are enjoying said beauty, you will probably be okay, because Ice Plant will stop a moving car!

Okay, I suppose I like Ice Plant enough, but I kinda doubt I will be planting any in my garden anytime soon. But on the other hand, Ice Plant does well in properly planned rock gardens. Not that I am going to plant a rock garden, but its good to know. Ice Plant... it's a complicated thing. You would never think it just by looking at it would you?

;)

And Now A Rose Garden Update...

RedGold November 2012


It's past the mid point of November, so I am getting ready to prune the roses back by 1/3 as is suggested. This will probably be the last week for garden updates, but there is plenty to see. The roses have taken the sudden change of weather really well, so it is still producing nicely, however one look at the edges and you can see the mild withering of the petals. We'll see how the next month or two goes, but with any luck, I will have a rose or two for Christmas. Fingers crossed!

Pink Promise Rose November 2012


Apricot Nectar Rose November 2012



~Me :)


1 comment:

jr cline said...

I like ice plants, but the roses are much prettier.
I didn't know ice plants would help stop a moving car. Cool!