Friday, August 03, 2012

A Photo A Day For 6 Months: Day 85~ Time Passages



All photographs are memento mori. To take a photograph is to participate in another person's ( or things ) mortality, vulnerability, mutability. Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify to time's relentless melt."



~Susan Sontag


 


I love the streetcars in San Francisco, and I need to spend a more time photographing them. They are such wonderful looking machines, that kinda makes me feel like I have stepped back in time whenever one passes by. The whole experience brings about all kinds of wonderful romantic images of men in fedora hats and ladies in gorgeous peplum skirts circa the 1940's. I can imagine all kinds of wonderful Film noir scenarios of great adventure with dashing men of intrigue and femme fatales just waiting to seduce them.. How delicious it all was. With Hollywood constantly remaking films and TV, I would love to see the eras of the 30's and 40's redone. 


With the silent movie, The Artist, having won the Academy Award for best film, I suppose there is a good chance that particular time in history could be highlighted more often. It would be so refreshing to not have to see a cell phone, or a Google search do all the legwork. There was a time when one actually had to put thought into things... sigh... I guess I am showing my age here... but I would love to escape to another era sometimes. Oh not to stay mind you, just a little break from the heartbreaking truth of today, and the harshness of having everything so damn available. Sometimes I think my generation was the last great one, because we didn't have such devices doing all our thinking for us. LOL I can remember when the pocket calculater was the hot new must have electronic device.



LOL. Yes, the older I get the more I sound like an old coot. It's okay... so be it. I wouldn't trade growing up the world the way it was for nothing. Although, I imagine that had the world already had the social networking sights it does now, it would have made the world a much different place than the one we live in now. I dunno. Shrug. I know I can sit for hours and listen to folks who lived through those eras, compare then and now. Would I really choose then over now? No, probably not if push came to shove, but oh how I would love to visit sometime, with camera in hand, and perhaps help some big galoot solve a mystery using nothing but my smarts, my cat like instincts, and my feminine wiles.

Yeah... that would work out well! LOL.


So tell me, if you could visit any era, with your camera, for 1 week maximum, which era would you choose to visit, and why?




:)



~Me




Today's Link...


JR
http://jrclinephotography.blogspot.com/2012/08/apadf6-83.html

1 comment:

jr cline said...

The streetcar photo is cool! I like streetcars. I managed to ride the Canal Street Line and the Riverfront Line while I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago.
If I could visit an era with my camera when would it be? hmmmm....good question.
I've thought about it for a bit and I'm just not interested in the past (even my past). I think I'd like to go 500 or a 1000 years into the future to record what has become of our blue ball.

Link: http://jrclinephotography.blogspot.com/2012/08/apadf6-84.html