Friday, August 06, 2010

Technically It's The Middle Of Summer, But...



"Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men and animals. Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock."

-Henry Ward Beecher

Okay, okay... I know... it's the middle of summer, but see, you would never know it if you lived in the Bay Area. It has been the coldest summer I remember, which makes it seem a little more like autumn. Today, for example, I have the back door open, but I am sitting here, typing this in a sweater. Strange. The garden seems to be enjoying it. My roses, which I will show you in an entry next week, are in full glorious bloom, as are the sunflowers that you see here, but the veggies are coming along SLOWLY. VERY SLOWLY. I think it has been all those foggy mornings, and afternoons with temperatures barely out of the 70's. Don't know for sure, but that appears to be the cause. Anyway, the sunflowers are the stars this week. I just love the unusual colors, don't you? I wish I would have planted more, but I was thinking on a smaller scale. No worries. Wait till you see the garden next year. There is a lot to look forward to. And all of it makes me happy. After all... who wouldn't smile with this much life in the garden?

:)








I look at these sunflowers and I see AUTUMN. I can't wait for my favorite season to officially arrive!


-Carly


3 comments:

Jan AKA Wammy said...

These are the most awesome sunflowers. You really captured the color right at the best time of day. Spectacular!

Vicki ~ FL said...

That is the most beautiful color of a sunflower I have ever seen!

Don't we wish it was autumn down here but then again it would still be hot and humid!

fdtate said...

Some great sunflower pics, Carly.

As much as I hate cold weather, I almost envy you. Here in the South, it's been hot, hot, hot...and don't forget humid too. It's not so much that we've had much hotter weather than normal, but that we've had it for so damned long. It's been late July and early August weather since the early part of June. Never again will I say "I'd rather be hot than cold."