Sunday, April 26, 2009

At The End Of The Day...

From For Ellipsis



"Every time you wake up and ask yourself, "What good things am I going to do today", remember that when the sun goes down at sunset, it will take a part of your life with it."

-Indian Proverb

Torture. When it comes to a subject as serious as this, I ask you, is there really such a thing as right or left, indeed, shouldn't it be right and wrong? I do not understand how anyone, regardless of political affiliation can say, "let's just move on," when it comes to this issue. An awful lot of bad things have been done in the name of each and every American. With equally bad results. It has been proven that torturing prisoners usually results in very little, if any, solid information. The tactic of torture does NOT keep us safe, indeed, it puts us in greater danger. Have we been safe since 9/11? Well, I don't think that we can say that just because there hasn't been a day like 9/11 since then that we are safe. I think we have been lucky, but not necessarily safe. You have to remember, the enemies we have now are a patient lot. Walking around with a cocky attitude, bragging about how safe we are, will eventually comeback to bite us... BIG.

Here is what I really don't get about the Bush administration authorizing "harsh interrogations"... why? Why resort to that? Why let Osama bin Laden win in his effort to change who we are, or were? Can you just imagine the moral victory we handed him? Not only did we never bring to justice those who attacked us that day, but we have given them a solid moral victory in knowing they have divided us as a nation. Sigh. Will prosecuting the Bush administration for war crimes divide us further? I hope not. I hope that regardless of what we have all been through, we can still see and know the difference between right and wrong.

I remember when the Bush administration tried to erase the word hunger, by calling it "pantry challenged." Sheesh. It was still hunger. It didn't work. And it is my hope that changing the name of torture to enhanced interrogations, won't work either.

It's Obama's first 100 days. So far he has given me a lot of hope. He has reversed many of the Bush administrations policies, and with each reversal, I can feel another brick being lifted off of me. Hope. It's a good thing. Are things perfect? Far from it. Do I agree with everything he is doing. NOPE. But at least I can see a future again. Life is getting better. Nothing really profound happens in the first 100 days of any administration, it's what happens from now on that really matters. I just HOPE he does the right thing.

Opinions, opinions...

If you are a republican, or a democrat for that matter, feel free to chime in. If you have known me for any length of time you know I welcome opinions, even if you don't agree with my point of view. So, tell me what's on your mind. Go ahead. Don't be shy.

Opinions anyone?

-Carly

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm not all that political savvy and I try and stay away from these shared issues, but...my friend...here's my opinion in a nutshell.
1. Torture is torture...it's always wrong. Being divisive is never helpful...though being held accountable IS.
2. Obama is doing a helluva job and needs folks to chill out a little and be more patient. Many are ready to jump on his every move and THAT is not helpful either.

Okey dokey?

Nance

Charley said...

Violations of any person is wrong. Period. Unethical, immoral, wrong.

I don't care HOW many lives you save by obtaining whatever piece of intelligence - a life saved through evil is one now forever tainted by that darkness. That's right - someone may have saved my life through immoral acts and my life is now forever tainted - who I am - tainted by how that person was tortured or abused.

Don't think this is true? Ask an abused child that grows up and has every other relationship in their life impacted by that abuse - you may not know that your friend down the street was a victim of unspeakable horrors, but what you also don't know is that your relationship with that person will forever be tainted by the evil in their past - whether your or they want it to be that way.

It is despicable.