Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's A Chihuahua Stupid!

"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new."

-Albert Einstein



I took a couple days off from blogging this week, to relax a little bit, do some errands and take care of some business IRL (in real life). It was good to step away from the computer and just breathe a little. Alan had Tuesday and Wednesday off, so we were to spend both days together. We tried to do all the errands on Tuesday, so that we could have Wednesday free to have fun. We got almost everything done, except for some banking I needed to do. So, that meant that Wednesday was all ours!

Over breakfast Wednesday morning, I asked Alan what he wanted to do. "How about we finally go to the glaze studio?" Yikes... the glaze studio! I don't know why, but I have been avoiding doing that for at least 2 years. It sounded like fun, but I always came up with some reason to avoid trying it. Who knows why. Alan thought it would be fun and different to go there and make a plate or a bowl or a mug, but it just didn't really seem like something I wanted to do. But since we take turns choosing what we do together on his days off, and it was his turn to choose, I decided to be a good Joe and so off to the pottery shop we went.

It was a smallish shop, but the selection was nice, and the room was really well lit and bright. Alan chose a mug off the shelf on cleaned pottery, and I browsed a bit, finally deciding on a small cat figurine. I thought it would be fun to paint a little Dylan that I could put on my desk. I had it all worked out in my head. A figurine of Dylan this time, and I would make one of Hendrix on my next visit. Yep, it was a plan! I picked out the colors, the brushes, and a stencil of the Chinese symbol for Peace & Balance. I thought it would be creative, and a nice tribute to Dylan, to put that on the back of the kitty, to represent what Dylan means to me. He is a very peaceful creature, and when we cuddle I feel comfortable and balanced.

Excellent. It was a plan!

As I painted my kitty, we talked about what we might do the rest of the day. It was getting close to lunchtime, and I was beginning to feel hungry, so I suggested that when we were done, it might be nice to go out for a nice lunch of burritos or maybe a Taco salad. He agreed. Again it was a plan. I don't know why, but I was really hungry for Mexican food. Yummy.

Just as I was putting the finishing touches on my kitty, Alan remarked on how big the ears were on my figurine were. I hadn't noticed, but when I looked closer, I saw that they were... kinda large for a cat. Oh well, Dylan has big pink ears, so that would make it all the more realistic! Right? When we took our pieces to the counter to pay for them, the lady smiled and rang them up.

"Let's see... 1 large coffee mug, and 1 Chihuahua figurine."

Chihuahua?

"It's a Chihuahua figurine, not a cat?" I asked.

"Ummm... yes... It's a Chihuahua," snickered the lady at the glaze studio.

Well... that explains my hunger for Mexican food!

ROFL.

I really need to get out of the house more often!



I can't even tell the difference between a cat and a chihuahua!

Alan and I laughed and laughed at my mistake. It felt good to poke fun at my silly myself. I swear, that little dog, looked like a cat to me! I will get the piece back in a couple weeks, and I will post a photo of it. You'll see. A Mexican dog, painted to look like an orange tabby cat, with the Chinese symbol of Peace and Balance on it's back! LOL. It's an original Carly to be sure.

:)


Stay Tuned!


-Carly

7 comments:

Jan AKA Wammy said...

My kids would have a field day with this one if I had been the one with the little bit of confusion. I am as dumb as a box of rocks sometimes. I am looking forward to the picutre. I say if you like it, who cares what everyone else says.

redsneakz said...

I was given a stuffed cow as a child, which I promptly named "Stumbleweed the Horse." I still have it, (mumble) years later.

Terri said...

There's a Jane Siberry song, "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog." You could reverse that and say everything reminds you of your cats.

Suzanne R said...

Well, chihuahuas do kind of look like cats, except for the tail. And I have a cat without a tail, although she's too fat to be a chihuahua. I can't wait to see your piece -- I'll bet it's cute!

Jama said...

Can't wait to see that cat!

Anonymous said...

You would be surprised how many people don't know what a chihuahua looks like.

They get them confused with all the other little dogs.

Patrick said...

An artist is always right, no matter what the lady behind the counter says! :)

Funny story, Carly! Can't wait to see the finished product.