Wednesday, November 26, 2008

On The Day Before Thanksgiving

"If the only prayer you ever said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice."

-Meister Eckhardt

Everything is all ready for tomorrow. The turkey is prepped, the pie is baked, and all that remains is the quiet reflection of the joys and sorrows of 2008. I am happy to be able to say that, given everything that has happened, Alan and I are still happy, and healthy and going on 19 years of marriage! We are thankful for what we have in each other. We work on our marriage, it doesn't just come easy, believe me. Sometimes I have no idea why he is still with me, given some of my mistakes, but he just laughs and gives me a hug and brushes all the mistakes away. I am thankful for Alan and his ability to forgive.

I wish everyone was as lucky as me. I worry about the world. The economy is so bad, and there are so many folks going without this year. It feels good to donate food to the shelter in Oakland, but it feels horrible to know it isn't enough. And we get told that things will get worse before they get better. Sigh. Christmas will be slight for most households this year, not only will gifts be hard to come by, but so will food and shelter. Every time I get fed up with this tiny cottage I live in, I stop and remind myself of how lucky I am to have it! It's not just a roof over my head... it's home. I am thankful for my home.

I have two new little babies this year. Hendrix is my little comedian, he is a laugh a minute. Adventurous, and brave, loving and feisty. Dylan is my love bug. He is elegant in his movements, and if given a choice, he would sit in my lap all day long. He greets me in the morning with hugs and kisses, and soft kitten whispers, and then his brother joins in. I have never seen two kitten who were more affectionate. They are my boys! :) I share them with Alan because it's the thing to do! LOL. Actually, Hendrix considers his daddy, his personal property, and I apparently belong to Dylan. The truth is, I think we all belong to each other. :) I am thankful for my baby family.

Along with all the personal things I am thankful about, I am also thankful to be able to say I was wrong. YEP... I WAS WRONG! I really wanted to see Hillary Clinton become our next president, and to be honest, I had very little if any faith in Barack Obama. I told you that before. But I also told you that just because we wouldn't be seeing her on the democratic ticket, it didn't mean I would lose my mind and vote for McCain because of it. I promised to try to find something to believe in when it came to Obama, and I did. Not just a little bit mind you, I completely believed in him on election day, and now more then ever!. He has acted more like a president since November 4th, then Bush has his entire time if office. I had almost forgot what it was like to have a competent individual in the White House. I am thankful for Barack Obama. I am thankful I can admit when I have been wrong!

I am thankful that our extended families are well and safe. I am thankful that my MIL is at home, resting after a recent heart attack. The doctor told her that the damage he thought was there, wasn't nearly as bad as he had originally thought. Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers. They reached her just fine. :) I am thankful for all of you who take a few moments out of your day to see what I am up to with life and photography. Friends on and off the net make my life a lot less lonely. I am thankful for you. If you are reading this, please know... I am thankful for you!

There is so much more I am thankful for. Little things. Rain, chocolate, spooky movies, stuffed animals, chilled pears, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, a good sale at Old Navy, my therapist, music, Dr. B... . The list is endless. Mostly, I am thankful for life and whatever comes my way. Anyone can do the easy times, it's the hard times that build us. I don't automatically think about giving up anymore. I deal. I feel good about that. No hiding. No running away. No pretending something that hurts me doesn't exist. I feel it, give it it's due, and move on. Ok, sometimes I do better about moving on then other times, but I do eventually move on. I am thankful for inner peace. And oh yeah... autumn! :)

"Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day."

-Robert Casper

-Carly

"Thanksgiving"
Berkeley, California
Autumn, 2006
Late Afternoon