"When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste."-Laiko Bahrs
I am all set. Thanksgiving is good to go in our house. I gave Alan two different menu choices, and here is the one he chose...
MENU B
Lunch
~~~~~~~~
Warm Potato Leek Soup
Toasted Havarti & Pear sandwiches on Sourdough
Mid-Afternoon Munchies
~~~~~~~~
Assorted fruit, cheese, and pumpkin bread platter
Thanksgiving Dinner
~~~~~~~~
Turkey (roasted with herb butter) & Gravy
Cornbread stuffing w/ dried cranberries
Homemade Cranberry relish
Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
(stuffed with apple/raisin/pecan compote)
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Bake
Brown & Serve Rolls
Dessert
~~~~~~~~
Fruits of the Forest Pie
(Everything is prepared so it is Diabetic friendly) It's easier then you think!
I know, I know... it sounds like a lot of food for two people, but I have gotten very good at learning how to cook portions for two people. LOL. Although, I will be making turkey leftovers for quite a while, in that Alan bought us a 25lb turkey! LOL. OMG, there is enough turkey this year for each of us to eat 12.5 pounds! LOL. Oh well, I am looking forward to developing some new recipes, and it keeps well in the freezer, when stored properly. (INSERT BIG SMILE HERE). I like that I have become an expert at making a fancy meal, that is nearly guilt free! It just takes a little bit of planning. It's a lot of work, but I look forward to it so much.
I am spending the rest of the day today shopping for those last minute prep needs, such as the fresh herbs and garnishes. I am also heading down to my favorite cheese shop to purchase 1/4 lb. of about ten different cheeses for the snack platter. I will use whatever we don't eat in the leftovers I am already planning for. There is only one hitch to everything... lifting the prepared turkey into the oven for roasting. I will be on my own for most of Thanksgiving day, because Alan has to work. He has promised to help be prep the turkey Wednesday night, which is most of the work, but the lifting of a 25 pound bird, plus the wight of the baking pan, is something I am not looking forward to. Darn old torn rotator cuff injury! Sheesh, I hurt that thing way back on Thanksgiving day in 2006, and yet it is hurting today as if I just injured it. I am afraid at this point it is as arthritic as my knees are.
It will be ok. I will put a heating pad on my shoulder, and take my codeine like a good girl, and all will be fine. Heck, maybe I should just stuff the codeine in the bird then everything will really be fine. LOL. Nah, it will be ok, Alan will be home to take it out of the oven when it is done, so I only have to worry about putting it in to roast. In all seriousness, the hardest part is going to be not having my little sous chef, Elvis, to help me prepare the food. He used to sit on a kitchen stool and watch everything I did, when I was making a meal. I even had a little chef's hat for him. Our routine was a simple one. We cuddled up and watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, because nothing officially starts until we see Santa arrive in Herald Square, then we donned our hats, and cooked up a storm in the kitchen. Sigh. I am so sad. It's the first Thanksgiving without him, and I miss him terribly. But I do have two new assistant chefs, who have already shown a great fondness for food! LOL. Things will definitely be interesting in my house this Thanksgiving!
So, that's what I will be doing Thursday. How about you? Tell me, what traditions do you have for the holiday? Are you having a big fancy dinner, or are you playing things low key this year? Do you prepare your feast with any special health needs in mind, or do you "take a break from healthy" for one day? Tell me everything!
-Carly
"Here Turkey, Turkey, Turkey"
Costco
San Ramon, California
November 19th, 2008
Afternoon
