Sunday, August 10, 2008

IMAGING And X-RAY

"When I get down on my knees, it's not to pray."

-Madonna


Tee Hee... wicked, wicked girl! Forgive me, but I couldn't resist using that quote when I came across it. ;) You see, I have been having some knee problems recently, well actually, I have been having knee problems since an injury back in the mid 90's, but lately my right knee has been hurting more intensely then usual. I thought at first it might be the old knee injury reminding me that I am now middle aged, and yeah, in a way I was right. It seems the damage I did to my knee, way back when, has turned into Osteoarthritis.

LOL. When it rains, it pours. LOL. It has been really cold in the Bay Area this summer, and I used to laugh about how my knee could predict the weather, and now I have proof, because come to find out, most folks who have OA experience increased sensitivity during cold weather. Yep. Oh well, according to what I have read, it's not unusual for the symptoms to become worse during middle age, but what was hard to hear was my doctor calling it, " mildly severe degenerative arthritis." Those are some yucky words. And by the way, how can you have "mildly severe" anything?

I have options. I can do some quad exercises a couple times a week at her office, and stay on the pain medications I have now, or I can take a shot of Cortisone every month or so, which I would rather not do, or I can have surgery, and do a knee replacement. So far, I am leaning toward the quad exercises and pain medication, but I know that in the foreseeable future I will probably be leaning on a cane to take some pressure off my right knee, especially as we get closer to the really cold months. How attractive is that? Jeepers, I used to be young. LOL. Stupid time, how dare it move forward and not warn me. LOL. Remember that old quote, "If I knew I were going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." Well, yeah!

Ok, well, there is some pluses to all this too. I mean first and foremost, I have health coverage, not everyone does. And I can still ride my bike, in fact, it's encouraged, but I will have to rethink the walking perhaps. The other day, I started to bounce up a flight of stairs, and my knee just collapsed. Silly thing. It was then that I called the doctor to have look see at what might be going on. I just don't want the whole thing to keep me from doing my photography. I like my long walks in Tilden, and Golden Gate Park, I know some things will have to change, but hopefully they will take place a little at a time, as I get used to being an old lady. LOL. I don't know, maybe the knee replacement thing isn't such a bad idea. LOL. "It's solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation!" The only problem is, if I replace my knee, how will I know when it's raining?

Arthritis Of The Knee (American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons)

Knee Pain Symptoms... What Do They Mean?

-OndineMonet
"Imagining and X-Ray"
Kaiser Permanente
Union City, California
August 8th, 2008
Afternoon

7 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

People in old books talk about "my rheumatiz" referring to what you've got. Too bad it's not "severely mild!"

MyMaracas said...

It amazes me how many things we have in common. This is one more. My knees have been killing me for months, and I finally went in to get it checked. Arthritis.

Hang in there, kiddo.

Dave said...

I love how you manage to stay cheerful with lousy stuff that happens to you, Carly. Its an inspiration to the rest of us. Keep making lemonade!

Carly said...

Aww...

Thanks Dave ((((DAVE))) You guys paying me visits encourages me more then you know!

-Carly

IndigoSunMoon said...

They would have to knock me out to give me an injection in my knee. I mean literally...KNOCK ME OUT, because I am the biggest chicken when it comes to needles.

I hate pain. It hurts me. LOL

Connie

Teresa said...

Good luck with everything. Hate that you have to go through that. Teresa

http://journals.aol.com/stetsonsfyre/remembering-to-exhale/

Anonymous said...

gee Carly (worried look)
what do you think you will do?
one of my knee cap sucks.
I have a cousin and his wife may have to have both replaced!
hugs and I will be thinking of you and hoping that you get much better soon
natalie