Sunday, October 21, 2007

Family Day 2007 (Observed)

"Once in a young lifetime one should be allowed to have as much sweetness as one can possibly want and hold."

-Judith Olney

Day 3 of the 13 Diabetic Days Of Halloween :)

It's Family Day! Well, for our family it's Family Day. LOL. Actually, the date we traditionally celebrate Family Day is usually, October, 23rd, but like last year, Alan and I will be in Nevada, so we are celebrating our made up holiday on the Sunday before. Complicated? Yes. But is it still fun? YES, MOST DEFINITELY! We will stick to all our traditions of the day, the same steps we took 17 years ago, when we made up the holiday. Of course back then we were newlyweds, and we thought we would have children one day to share it with. Alas, that was not to be, but we kept the day for ourselves. A no pressure day to just celebrate that we are not just a married couple, we are a family. :)

We will start the day in Half Moon Bay, where will choose the official pumpkins for the year. The cooking pumpkins, the carving pumpkins, and the pumpkins for my garden, but most importantly the protections pumpkins that will sit at our front door, our back door, and the one for my desk. I love walking around the pumpkin farms, looking over the little orange souls until I find just the right one. It's magic. This year, we are taking a long ride along the coast, to enjoy the sun, and the amazing beauty of HWY1. The camera will be getting quite a workout. :)

I am looking forward to picking out just the right pumpkins for cooking. I made my very first sugar-free pumpkin pie yesterday, and it came out wonderful. I simply followed the directions on the Libby's canned pumpkin label, and substituted Splenda for the sugar. I wanted to try an easy diabetic recipe to start, but now I am ready to try making a pie from scratch. I love to cook, so this year I will probably be sharing my hits and misses here on my blog. I have two new recipes to share this coming week, although it will more than likely be late in the week, after I return from Nevada. Stay Tuned!


Sugar-free Pumpkin Pie... It does a diabetic body good! :)




-OndineMonet
"Family Day"
October, 21 2007
Half Moon Bay, California


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear Carly,
that sounds like such a wonderful day!wow! I'm glad it's your 17th!
Big Congrats!
and have a world of fun!
love,natalie

MyMaracas said...

Family Day sounds wonderful! And so does the pie. I'll have to try that.

Vicki