Thursday, November 30, 2006

Lovely In Autumn

"Use all the talents you possess... for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best."

-Henry Van Dyke

This is a Steller's Jay, I found this bird at the Monarch Sanctuary in Pacific Grove, late last month when I went to photograph the Monarch clusters. The Pacific coastline is so beautiful this time of year. I am hoping to spend a lot more time along the coast, in spring and summer, of next year. I want to do some more comprehensive photography of not just the birds, but also butterflies and the wildflowers you can find along the coast. I found out from a park ranger, that the hillside behind the Point Bonita Lighthouse, has somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 different varieties of wildflowers. That will also allow me to work on photographing butterflies, and other winged creatures in a more natural setting.

The conservatory was a great place to begin learning how to photograph the butterflies, but by the end of the exhibit, in October, I wasn't feeling challenged anymore. I am also hoping that Marin County will bring me more opportunities for photographing, speciffically, Snowy Egrets. I love those birds... such grace and beauty. :) Since I am unable to get out during this cold snap we are experiencing here in Northern California, I am using my time wisely by reading up on what to expect when I go on my planned photo jaunts, after the first of the year. :) I might even ask Santa for a new pair of binoculars. :) Right now it is 41 degrees, but it could reach as low as 28 by tomorrow morning. My hands are sore, but just looking at that Egret makes me feel warm inside. :)

-OndineMonet


"Steller's Jay"
Pacific Grove, California
October, 2006

"Snowy Egret"
Southern Marin County, California
November, 2006

6 comments:

DesLily said...

wow, gorgeous shot of the egret Carly!!

Anonymous said...

Carly, great to find your blog today.

I live in Crestline in the mountains of southern California. We have lots of stellar jays. We also have scrub jays which will eat from our hands.

Blessings and joy today.

Shirley Buxton
www.writenow.wordpress.com

Suzanne R said...

Wow, you're actually going to get down to 28? Is that going to be some kind of a record for where you live, if it gets that cold? I think our frigid weather of a night ago has settled down into your area! Stay warm!

I think asking Santa for a pair of binoculars is a great idea. As for the photo of the egret, it is so beautiful, I thought it was a painting at first.

Anonymous said...

The egret photo is breathtaking.

Nancy said...

The first one reminds me of my dear bird-friend, "Valentino". He's a cardinal that visits me a lot. A LOT. He sits on the fence like that sometimes.
And that egret? Well...breathtaking!

Nancy
PS. Maybe I should do an entry on Valentino.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

We have Stellar's Jays on top of Mt. Lemmon, but they seem to be hard to find. Maybe they're at the tops of those 200-foot trees!