Thursday, August 31, 2006

Nuit de Papillon

"Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one. It got on at 42nd, and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake...as almost all hats are."

-Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) You've Got Mail

It was a long day. After a particularly fun time at therapy, I thought it might be a good idea to go to the butterfly exhibit, at the Conservatory of Flowers, to try to chase some sadness away. It worked. There were several new species to work with, but I was most intrigued with the White Peacock (Anartia jatrophae). It reminds me of fine ivory lace. I decided today, to take a few shots in b/w mode, just to see what it would be like. It was good for me to go out with the camera today, sometimes I think it is the best therapy of all. I tend to see things differently on days when I am a little sad.

I spent a lot of time with this particular butterfly, and soon, I wasn't feeling as sad, in fact, I found a good bit of energy from my visit with her. After I finished her portrait, I spotted a beautiful Viceroy butterfly (Limenitis archippus) and decided to spread my creative wings a bit. I turned my camera on video mode, and took two short movies of it dancing and feasting upon a lovely sunflower. I was very happy with how they came out, so maybe next week I will revisit the conservatory and take some longer videos. Just as an experiment, later tonight, I am going to make a movie in my Windows Movie maker with the two video shorts and some stills which I will run together with some music, not quite sure which musicial piece yet, maybe something by Rachmaninoff, or maybe I will try some jazz, with Harry Connick Jr. I wish the butterflies lives weren't so short, so much beauty too lose, doesn't seem fair.

Later in the day, I took a ride across town to the "Six Sisters," at Alamo Square Park. There was another bride and groom posing for their wedding photos. That makes the 6th couple I have encountered, since last spring. :) It was a perfect day for the camera. I have been enjoying photographing the young brides, as every bride is beautiful, and every groom handsome. Good day with the camera. A lot of happiness and contentment was to be found. :)

"Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life. And everyone deserved a little sunshine."

-Jeffrey Glassberg

Note: I found a great butterfly resource, by way of my friend Steven, Butterflies and Moths of North America. It is an awesome website where you can learn more about these amazingly beautiful creatures. :)

-OndineMonet
"Butterfly At Night"
Conservatory of Flowers
San Francisco, California
August 30, 2006
Afternoon