Friday, July 07, 2006

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #119: Boston!

"Today is going to be a...less bad day. I can feel it. Sometimes I wake up and know everything is going to be...less bad."

Weekend Assignment#119: Boston! Home of baked beans and the Red Sox. Share some of your favorite (or not so favorite) things about this quintessential New England metropolis. From the Big Dig to local Founding Fathers. It's all up for consideration. For the purpose of this Weekend Assignment, you can consider things near Boston as well (Cambridge or other nearby cities).

Extra Credit: Did you ever want to go to collage at Harvard?

1. My favorite season is autumn. The autumns in California have their moments, but when compared to the autumns in the New England states, California autumnal foliage almost looks black and white. I have always enjoyed seeing photos of the colorful autumns in Boston, as the trees that sit along the Charles river, light the days with crimson red, bright yellow and orange hues. Photographing lighthouses is another passion of mine. So maybe, If I am lucky, one day I will get to visit Boston, during that time of year, and then be able to add some east coast lighthouses to my portfolio, such as the one above which sits in Boston Harbor.

2. One of my all-time favorite show was Ally McBeal. I really identified with her, and in some ways it sometimes seemed like it was actually written based on my weird love life, prior to Alan of course. Also, there were times when my imagination could be as vivid as Ally's was. Still is sometimes. LOL. :) David E. Kelly, the shows brilliant creator, also thought up one of my current favorite shows, Boston Legal. Is James Spader amazing or what?

3. Speaking of great shows...who could forget Cheers? My favorite character was Woody Boyd, played by Woody Harrelson. I don't think I missed a single episode of Cheers, throughout it's 9 seasons. One of my favorite quotes came from a very early episode, which involved Diane's mother meeting Sam Malone...

"Hello Mr. Malone, it's nice to meet you. Why you are almost as handsome as Diane says you think you are."

LOL. How do you not love a place where everyone knows your name? The Cheers bar is modeled after an actual bar in Boston, originally called The Bull & Finch Pub, but which is now known as Cheers because the original name made it difficult to find the bar which was the inspiration for the NBC series, Cheers. You can visit the official web site here. I think it might be nice to have a drink in there one day, it is an interesting part of pop culture history. :) Didn't you love the theme song...

Where Everybody Knows Your Name
By Gary Portnoy

Making the way in the world today takes everything you've got
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot
Wouldn't you like to get away?

All those nights when you've got no lights, the check is in the mail
And your little angel hung the cat up by the tail
And your third fiance didn't show

Sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where you can see our troubles are all the same
You want to be where everybody knows your name

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead, the mornings looking bright
And your shrink runs off to Europe and didn't even right
And your husband wants to be a girl

Be glad there's one place in the world,where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to go where people know
People are all the same
You want to go where everybody knows your name.

Isn't that a great thought? :) A single, comfortable place where you are accepted for just being you? :)

Like Ally said..."Today is going to be a...less bad day. I can feel it. Sometimes I wake up and know everything is going to be...less bad."

Extra Credit: I thought about it for about five minutes. Unfortunately, it simply wasn't going to be a feasible life path for me. It all worked out for the best anyway. :)

Cheer's
84 Beacon Street
Boston, Massachusetts
(617) 227-9605

-OndineMonet

No comments: