Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Hummingbird

"Have you ever observed a hummingbird moving about in an aerial dance among the flowers? A living prismatic gem... it is a creature of such fairy-like loveliness, as to mock all description."

-W. H. Hudson

While I was searching for the Woodstock sculptures around Santa Rosa Thursday, I saw some amazingly beautiful sights. The town was filled with all types of public art, not the least of which was nature itself. I saw so many hummingbirds that day, but I had given up on being able to photograph one because of how fast they dotted in and out of the flowers. Around 1:30, I decided to pause for lunch in Courthouse Square, and to my delight I was able to capture this hummingbird. She paused for a moment at this flower, turned to me just after I snapped the camera, smiled, and moved on her way. Ahhh...life with the camera and sweet serendipity.

The Hummingbird (Haiku)
By Carly Gordon

Here is the dreamer

Her dream transcends the darkness.

Her soul seeks the light.

-OndineMonet
"The Hummingbird"
Santa Rosa, California
June 1, 2006
Afternoon