Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Hummingbird

"Have you ever observed a hummingbird moving about in an aerial dance among the flowers? A living prismatic gem... it is a creature of such fairy-like loveliness, as to mock all description."

-W. H. Hudson

While I was searching for the Woodstock sculptures around Santa Rosa Thursday, I saw some amazingly beautiful sights. The town was filled with all types of public art, not the least of which was nature itself. I saw so many hummingbirds that day, but I had given up on being able to photograph one because of how fast they dotted in and out of the flowers. Around 1:30, I decided to pause for lunch in Courthouse Square, and to my delight I was able to capture this hummingbird. She paused for a moment at this flower, turned to me just after I snapped the camera, smiled, and moved on her way. Ahhh...life with the camera and sweet serendipity.

The Hummingbird (Haiku)
By Carly Gordon

Here is the dreamer

Her dream transcends the darkness.

Her soul seeks the light.

-OndineMonet
"The Hummingbird"
Santa Rosa, California
June 1, 2006
Afternoon

3 comments:

DesLily said...

Ohhhhh what a gorgeous shot!! I'm sure that one knew you really really wanted to take a photo and so came to that flower just for you!

Suzanne R said...

Lovely, lovely picture and haiku! I used to love trying to write haiku when we did that in high school. That was fun, but I haven't tried since then. Thank you for sharing this precious moment.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

That is absolutely the best hummingbird photo I've ever seen, this side of a coffee table book I once saw about hummingbirds. Having tried to photograph them many, many times over the years, I'm terribly jealous.

But psst! I'm pretty sure that's a male hummingbird. Perhaps he was flirting with you. Or maybe just flitting.

K.