Friday, March 17, 2006

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #103: Music To Get The Party Started


"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance."

-Unknown

Weekend Assignment #103: List the songs you'd play to kick a party into gear. You can choose up to five. And if you want to explain why those five, that's good too. It can of course, be any kind of music from any era... and it can be any kind of party , too. Hey, it's your party. You're in charge of the jukebox, my friend.

Extra Credit: Name the song to play to start winding down the party.

-John Scalzi

It's been several years since we have thrown a party, but we had a lot of fun when we did. The last party we gave was a "House Cooling" party when we moved from our apartment into our first house. We had a BBQ, and we had grab bags with goodies from around the house that we didn't want to take with us. Good stuff, such as, 4 large cans of Comet and 2 sponges. LOL. When it came to the music, that was my department. Music is so important to me, so I put together a little bit from many different eras and genres. Big Band, Disco, Pop. Everyone seemed to enjoy the music I chose, and that felt nice. :) Here are five songs, with an excerpt from each one, that I would probably put together if I were to have a party again sometime.

1. Shiny Happy People
By REM

"Everyone around, love them, love them
There's no time to cry, happy, happy
Put it in your heart, where tomorrow shines
Gold and silver shines..."

2. This Is The Time To Remember
By Billy Joel

"This is the time to remember
Cause it will no last forever
These are the days to hold onto
Cause we won't, although we want to
This is the time, but time is gonna change
You've given me the best of you
Now I need the rest of you."

3. Don't Get me Wrong
By The Pretenders

"Once in a while, two people meet
Seemingly for no reason, they just pass on the street
Suddenly thunder showers everywhere
But who can explain the thunder and rain
When there's something in the air."

4. I Go Blind
By Hootie & The Blowfish

"Little child did you know that there's a light
And it's gonna shine right through your eyes
What do you think that life is like?
Every time I look at you I go blind.

5. Smooth
By Santana Featuring Rob Thomas

"And if you say this life ain't good enough
I'd give my world just to lift you up
I could change my life to better suit your mood
Cause you're so smooth."

Extra Credit: One of may favorite songs, for when I am in a winding down mode, is the oldie from Chad & Jeremy, "A Summer Song"

"They say that all good things must end, someday
Autumn leaves must fall
But don't you know that it hurts me so, to say goodbye to you
Wish you didn't have to go
Oh no, no, no
But when the rain, beats against my window pane
I'll think of summer days again...and dream of you."

-OndineMonet
"Cocktail Party"
By Dupre

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Smooth. One of my favourite songs.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I have several Billy Joel CDs, and some Pretenders, and STILL I don't knowa single some here except A Summer Song. Does this mean I'm old? ;)

K.

Anonymous said...

great list .... you've got some really good pics, and was nice to see a Pretenders tune on there. This was a really tough assignment for me to do. I love music, and it's hard to narrow it down to just five songs, but it was a fun challenge. Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme