Friday, October 20, 2023

Say's Phoebe

 

“Autumn that year painted the countryside in vivid shades of scarlet, saffron and russet, and the days were clear and crisp under harvest skies.”
 
~Sharon Kay Penman,
 
  
The Say's phoebe is one of the most beautiful of the perching birds. I saw my first one, for the first time, just two years ago! Can you believe it? Why does it seem like I have never seen birds before I moved to the Central Valley? Oh my, and here is yet another bird that puts me in touch with Autumn, no matter what time of year it is! The Black phoebe is also a favorite. I fell in love with them after we moved into the house in 2015. They would dance about the back yard, darting along the top of the pool, chasing scrub jays from their yard! I was mesmerized. It is one of the most comforting things to do when I am heartsick. I am happy just to sit and watch birds enjoy life. There is a big lesson in that. I had missed so much in life, and birds make me feel like striving to see more. They make me feel alive, especially in their days of uncertainty. We are in the autumn of 2023, and despite all the sad, strange and infuriating news, I am enjoying October. And there is a lot more good stuff to come!
 
Black Phoebe


 

No comments: