Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Little Autumn Spider Named Elyse



"Her pleasure in the walk must arise from the exercise and the day, from the view of the last smiles of the year upon the tawny leaves and withered hedges and from repeating to herself some few of the thousand poetical descriptions extant of autumn... that season of peculiar and inexhaustible influence on the mind of taste and tenderness... that season which has drawn from every poet worthy of being read some attempt at description, or some lines of feeling."

~Jane Austen
Persuasion


I was visiting Tilden Park, in Berkeley, searching for a little more autumn to fill me up, when I saw her. A tiny spider. I hate spiders, but she was way to small to take too seriously. just a speck, and I had no heart to harm her. It was cold, as Berkeley is usually this time of November, so I figure she has enough going against her. She was just trying to be her own true self, and hide on a nearly perfect leaf. But we made friends, and I asked politely if I could photograph her, she obliged, and in a little while we both smiled and said goodbye. Before I left though, she whispered to me that her name was Elyse, and I told her my name was Carly, and she promised to write if she got work. I smiled, nodded, and said, take care Elyse, and then I left. I already miss her.

 #56 Leaf Of The Day
November 16th 2019
Cull Canyon, Ca
Nikon


~Mood: Happy
~Me :)

No comments: