Friday, September 30, 2016

The Last Smiles Of The Year On Tawny Leaves

Leaf Of The Day
September 30th, 2016 

"Her pleasure in the walk must arise from the exercise and the day, from the view of the last smiles of the year upon the tawny leaves and withered hedges, and from repeating to herself some few of the thousand poetical description extant of autumn... that season peculiar and inexhaustible influence on the mind of taste and tenderness... that season which has drawn from every poet worthy of being read some attempt at description, or some lines of feeling."

~Jane Austin
Persuasion

 I loved jumping in big piles of leaves when I was a little girl! And I loved going leaf hunting in my yard. I could find all kinds of leaves and colors I didn't know existed! We had a huge Maple tree, with giant leaves, and I just loved everything about that tree. One day, my parents took me aside, and told me that the tree would have to come down. Well, as you might guess, that did not go over well! Gosh, I cried for days, and I swear I felt the pain of each branch as the saw went through it! My friend was being murdered before my very eyes! A living breathing soul was being tortured to death! And it was my parents who ordered the hit!

Life was terribly unfair! 

That was my first lesson about how just unfair life really is. Since then I have had much harsher lessons, and some humorous ones as well, about how sometimes things just have their time. Saying goodbye for me is always bittersweet. Like Autumn. It's been called the last beautiful blast of the year, and of course, it is. I guess that's why I have always felt that, no matter how the rest of the year went, autumn always deserves to be appreciated! I have been jumping in big piles of leaves for 50 years or so, and I don't plan to stop any time soon. And this leaf, in the picture above, is from the front yard of my own home, that coincidently, is the same age as me! Sometimes I like to think that the trees knew I was coming here one day!

Silly. I know.


Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: