Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Art About Town... Berkeley: "s-Hertogenbosch" By John Toki

s-Hertogenbosch 
By John Toki

"Sculpture is like drawing in the air. Filling in space. 
Finding space. Working with contours, planes, light and shadows."

~Denis Hopking

This piece, which is part of the Addison Street Art Walk, and sits at the corner of Addison and Shattuck, in Berkeley, is not one of my favorite sculptures, but it wouldn't be downtown Berkeley without it. I have featured it on my blog in the past, but this a brand new photo, from a slightly different angle then I have posted previously. The name of the sculpture, s-Hertogenbosche is the same as a town in the Netherlands, which translates to, "Duke's Forest." It is a ceramics piece, and is an abstract representation of forms found in nature, such as mountains, sky, water and snow. It always catches my eye when I pass it, and I have spent a fair amount of time studying the shape and color. It's an interesting sculpture, and really has to be seen in person to be appreciated, I never really have done it proper justice with my photographs of it.

Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: