Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11th, 2001... He Said Hello, Then I Said Hello, And The World Changed



"We are all ordinary, we are all boring. We are all spectacular. We are all shy. We are all bold. We are all heroes. We are all helpless. It just depends on the day."

~Brad Meltzer

September 11th, 2001

I think to a degree, I am still dealing with what happened on September 11th, 2001. It still seems so surreal... and yet all too real! I remember Alan calling me on the phone, to tell me what had happened, but his words now seem blurry. I do remember that what he was telling seeming so absolutely absurd. You see I had been sleeping really deep that morning, a rarity for me at the time, so when his phone call came I was still in a bit of a dream state. But as I picked up the phone, and before Alan said anything, I mused to myself that the very same episode of  I Love Lucy, on TV Land that I had fallen asleep to after he left for work, was playing again. How odd!

Then I said hello and he said hello and the world changed.

It was all just so FUCKING ABSURD.

Just so absurd.

Yesterday, after years of putting it off, I paid a visit to the Flight 93 Memorial in Union City, California. I don't know why I have been avoiding it... (silence) but I have. But yesterday, was a day that wasn't very different than September 11th, 2001 in temperature and color of the sky. So, I got my cameras out, and made the trek. I was glad I did. It is a peaceful place, filled with remembrance and tributes. It has a beautiful tree, planted with actual dirt taken from the field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania where the plane crashed. It's leaves are beginning to change. It's beautiful. It's hopeful. There is a pathway, with monuments marking the names of each of the passengers and crew members. And there is an American flag, and at it's base small artistic tiles, done by young people of many Bay Area schools.

After all these years, (silence) it's still so FUCKING ABSURD!




Today, I am also remembering the lives of David and Lynn Angell, who were killed on September 11th, 2001, when the plane they were in, American Airlines Flight 11, crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

Thank you David and Lynn, once again, for all the laughter and joy you brought to so many, and all you did for the children who needed you. 
I will remember you always!




It is an honor to remember this couple, and I will continue to do so for as long as I can. I got to know them, and about their life, when I honored them for the 9/11 Project, several years ago. They were extraordinary people, who made the world a better place. Please, if you are unfamiliar with David and Lynn Angell's life and work, take a moment to visit the links below. 

David Angell *Wikipedia

The Angell Foundation - David And Lynn Angell Biography


Mood: Reflective

~Me

No comments: