Friday, January 24, 2014

Half Moon Bay, The Real Housewives Of New Jersey And The Mavericks



"Sometimes in the morning, when it's a good surf, I go out there and I don't feel like it's a bad world."

~Kary Mullis

A couple days ago, while out with the camera along the coast, I heard a familiar little bell on my phone, and when I checked, there it was, a Breaking News text from my favorite network news affiliate in the Bay Area, KGO, and what a news headline it was... "Mavericks Surf Competition Will Be Held This Friday." That's a big deal in the Bay Area, especially in Half Moon Bay, but it's an even bigger deal to surfers worldwide who come each year, when the waves are cooperating, to compete for the top prize.

Some recent changes in how spectators can view the contest make it almost impossible to be able to see it from the shoreline, but there is a viewing area where a large screen TV will show all the action. For me, that takes the fun out of it. I like being able to sit on, or near, the shore, with my camera, and see it for my own eyes, so I probably won't brave the traffic. The good news though, for the first time the Mavericks competition will be available to stream online at the official website!  And also for the first time, it will be televised on the Universal Sports Network. (See the link to the official Maverick's website, located at the bottom of this page, for all the event and viewing details).

I will watch it that way. Still, I wish I could be there in person. The news is predicting waves of record height. As high as 50ft. That is an awesome thought! So far the highest I have seen personally is about 30 ft! I think that would make for the photo of a lifetime! Someday. Maybe. We'll see. As the years go by, perhaps things will go toward better viewing conditions along the shoreline. You never know. Until then, there is always the Internet. Right?

Here are my photos from Half Moon Bay two days ago...









I have written about Half Moon Bay on this blog many times. In the context of our annual visits to the amazingly beautiful pumpkin patches, and my love for the Pacific coast shoreline. I did also mention Half Moon Bay in regards to my astonishment at the fact that the cast of The Real Housewives Of New Jersey, during season 4, stayed in Half Moon Bay, while on vacation in California, and couldn't seem to find any beauty to the town or the coast! Which still leaves me completely perplexed, because truly, I am so in love with the place that I tend to visit the area as much as possible. I can't imagine NOT loving the area. There fresh produce. The air. The sunsets. The friendly small town atmosphere. Jeepers, the place is even mentioned in a beautiful song by the group Train! What's not to love? But then, that's just my opinion.

Maverick's Invitational 

:)

So tell me, will you be tuning into the Maverick's competition? Yes/No? Tell me everything!

Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: