Saturday, September 21, 2013

Round Robin Challenge: History


USS San Francisco Memorial (Damaged Bridge Wings)
Lands End (Outer Richmond)
San Francisco, California
September 4th, 2013

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all lessons that history has to teach."

~Aldous Huxley, Collected Essays

RRC: History!

 

For my post on the subject History, I decided to visit, or actually revisit, the USS San Francisco Memorial, which sits in the Outer Richmond district of San Francisco, near Lands End. I first visited the memorial about 10 years ago, and I did a few photos that day, but I didn't know much about how the full history or how significant the service of the USS San Francisco had been in World War II. Over the last few years I have done some reading about it, and it has stuck in my consciousness when contemplating the wars America has engaged in, particularly since 9/11. World War II, and our involvement in it, was so different than most of the wars we have been in since. No war should be the first choice of the men who make these decisions, but unfortunately some things are inevitable.

I am hoping that we are not sitting on the precipice of yet another war in the middle east, but somehow it feels like the people at the top, the ones who can decide between diplomacy and international law, over war, have their minds made up no matter what I think. I have heard my father-in-law say many times... "I went to war so my children wouldn't have to!" He is a veteran of World War II, so I can understand his ire at the fact that history, sometimes in the worst ways, just keeps repeating itself! Okay, I am done now. Here, in photographs, taken at the beginning of September of this year, is the story of the USS San Francisco, and her place in wartime history...

USS San Francisco And The Battle Of Guadalcanal

 

I decided to post the photos in black and white because it just seemed most appropriate.


Okay, now that you have seen my take on History, be sure to visit all the Round Robin participants. Just click the link at the top of this entry to be redirected to the official Round Robin blog where you will find the list of participants, and all the information you need to play along! :)

~Mood: Reflective

~Me :)

3 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Very historic indeed. It reminds me of my researches into my Dad's experiences in WW II. The shot of the ripped metal hull(?) is especially evocative.

Jama said...

My parents and parent in law live through the ww2, it was hard under the Japanese rule and hope there will never be another war for the future generation!

fredamans said...

Thanks for showing us your history. Having not been to many of the US monuments, it is nice to see some and learn about why they exist.