Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Public Stairways Of San Francisco: A Sneak Peek Of The Montgomery Street Stairs


Montgomery Street Stairs, San Francisco
July 31st, 2013

"My soul can find no staircase to Heaven, unless it be through Earth's loveliness."

~Michelangelo

When you think of San Francisco, what comes to mind? Sourdough bread? Tony Bennett? The Barbary Coast? The Golden Gate Bridge? The TransAmerica Pyramid building? Fisherman's Wharf? Well yes, I can see that! Those are all the things tourists come to San Francisco to see, but there are all kinds of interesting hidden gems about the city that gets overlooked. I kinda love that because I can go and experience those things, without being trampled on. LOL. Although I think the word has been getting out in recent years about one of my personal favorite haunts... the stairs of San Francisco.

I have read here and there that there is probably some 300 or more public stairways in San Francisco. Some have been featured in movies, some are cement, some are still of their original wood, having survived the 1908 earthquake! They are historical. They are works of art, like the 16th avenue tiled steps, and all of them serve the same purpose, to get you from here to there on all these hills! If I posted one set of stairs a day, it would take me the better part of a year to show you each and every one of them. I was thinking about posting this kind of series a couple times a month... maybe. So, if I do get to post at that rate, it will be more like several years before I photograph each set!

It sounds daunting.

But I think I would like to try.

Think of the history.

Think of the beauty.

Think of the exercise.

Think of the sights you find along the way.

Personally, I am up for the challenge!

I can't wait to see what I will discover while walking on the stairs of San Francisco! I am going to do a more in depth photo session on the Montgomery street stairs. That will be coming along pretty soon, so stay tuned! I think you will be surprised by the amazing views and beauty associated with them. I know I was!

"The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in What Ever Happened To Baby Jane."

~Bette Davis

Mood: Happy

~Me :)

No comments: