Sunday, May 19, 2013

Julia


Julia  (Dryas iulia) (Male)

"Go on, hitch a ride on the back of a butterfly. There's no better way to fly."

~Pat Monahan, Scott Michael Underwood, and James W. Stafford, "Get To Me."

Meet the Julia! Well, actually it's iurlia, Julia is a common misspelling of it's name, but personally, I like the misspelling, so I call it Julia! It's a medium sized, sometimes brightly colored orange butterfly, which every once in a while makes and appearance in the backyard, where it is fond of stopping for a drink of the blossoms on our Meyer Lemon tree. It makes me ridiculously happy to see it flutter through the yard. That little splash of orange, in an otherwise green yard, is a pleasant sight. It is one of the best parts of spring I think. :)



When Alan and I took that aerial tour of the bay last autumn, I got to see the world from a new perspective. I have been in big jet planes, but being in a small plane, closer to the earth, allowed me to imagine what it was like to be my two favorite flying creatures, the Snowy Egret and the butterfly... any butterfly. The Snowy Egret will always be my favorite bird, but I could never choose one type of butterfly to call my favorite! They all equally enchant and fascinate me! They other day,  I followed this Julia around the Conservatory of flowers for close to an hour. Is it possible to stalk a butterfly? LOL.

Mood: Happy :)

~Me :)

No comments: