Thursday, January 24, 2013

A January Sunset

From For Ellipsis Album 2


"To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy."

~Henri Cartier-Bresson, The Mind's Eye: Writings on Photography and Photographers

Alan and I took a trip out to Treasure Island last Monday night, to photograph the buildings that are lit up in red and gold in honor of the 49ers making to the Super Bowl. There wasn't any fog to worry about, and the day itself had been warm for January, but you have to always keep in mind that the Bay Area consists of micro-climates, and the East Bay can be warm, but San Francisco more than likely isn't. Of course, that depends on what part of San Francisco you are in. If you are downtown, either in the financial district or the theater district, it will be warmer than if you are out at Ocean Beach, or anywhere along the coast. All those lovely tall buildings work as lovely cold and windbreakers.

When it comes to Treasure Island, you pretty much have to start all over! LOL. Winter, spring, summer, or autumn, it's a good idea to have a sweater or jacket with you! LOL. San Francisco weather... you got to love it! It always has a little something for everyone, and I wouldn't give it up for the world! I love having as many choices as possible when I am out with the camera. I have learned to bring all three of my current cameras with me when I go to the city. I sometimes have to work really hard to accomplish what I would consider a good photo, and then there are those times when all I have to do is point and shoot.

This particular sunset illustrates that point I think. You can't fake a moment like that. The city lights were down, but the light in the sunset was more than enough color to bounce the ambient light off the water. Again, each and every day I get a reminder about things I need to work on when it comes to my photography. I need to be better about documenting times of day, weather conditions, temperature and surrounding conditions. I like to keep track of why I chose a particular scene, or perspective. Was I in pain from my arthritis when I took a photo? Was the weather warm enough to allow me plenty of mobility? It's not just enough to know the basic environment, I need to know how my Fibromyalgia factors in.

In a lot of ways I believe that my Fibromyalgia and my arthritis has made me a better photographer. I can say without reservation that I work to achieve a photo, rather than just aiming without regard and hoping for the best. Because of my Fibromyalgia, I have learned patience. I have learned that my instincts are, generally speaking, pretty good when it comes to my photography. It's so strange that I struggle sometimes to find simple words, and they allude me. I will sit here and compose a blog entry and read it over and check it a second time, and yet there can be all kinds of mistakes that I don't catch. It's so disheartening. But when it comes to the visual... the taking of a photograph... the seeing of an extraordinary moment... it's almost as if my mind speaks to my hands and tells them when to press the shutter, to find hold that moment, and I am let in on the secret only after the picture is taken.

Apparently, I have an angel on my shoulder, or a muse in my camera bag, either way, I know I never deserve full credit for the photos I take. I just took the picture.

~Mood: Grateful

~Me :)

No comments: