Thursday, April 02, 2009

Quick... Turn On The Light!



"It takes a rather special kind of person to follow soaps. You have to be highly intelligent to understand them and think as a brick to want to."

-Alan Coran

CBS announced yesterday, on April Fool's Day, that they were canceling Guiding Light. Sigh. Although I haven't watched it for a number of years, I was still sad to hear that such a daytime gem was being thrown away. I loved so many characters over the years, especially in the mid 90's when I was absolutely hooked. One day I was just surfing, General Hospital had gotten dry as dust, and I came across Guiding Light. It drew me in with just one episode. It was so much fun back then. Reva had just returned, and she was a ghost! Jenna was a jewel thief, and Buzz was just plain sexy! Roger was probably the best bad guy in daytime, I still miss Michael Zaslow, and Nadine was the loveable airhead you just had to root for.

Sigh. Game shows have all but left daytime TV, instead they are replaced with litigation television and talk shows, so I wonder if the daytime drama has much of a future in general. I still miss Another World. I loved that show as well, and watched it up to it's very last episode. I always hoped that NBC would do a reunion show, maybe like a one week look back, but alas it was not to be. Sigh. Oh well, the decision has been made, so I guess I will revisit the light while it is still on. The last episode is scheduled to air on September 18th, 2009. I think I will give it a look see today, I wonder, will it draw me in with just one episode all over again? Probably.

-Carly

No comments: