Friday, July 25, 2008

Like I Said... Detox

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night."

-Edgar Allan Poe



As I said in my post yesterday, I took a few days off from blogging earlier this week to detox from the Internet. I had my A1c done, and we took Elvis for his usual appointment with Dr. B and we took care of some assorted chores, but with the ample time left over I simply didn't feel like chaining myself to the computer, because nothing beats a nice walk in the sun. I had a really nice walk in the sun.



Tilden Park has become my own personal peaceful haven in the warm summer months. It's beautiful all year round, especially in December when they have the Christmas Fantasy in the Woods, but in the summer it is a dream of beauty. One of my favorite spots in the park, to take a long walk with Alan, is Lake Anza. It is a 9 acre lake in the middle of the park, and it has swimming as well as fishing available. I love walking around to the far side, away from the swimming crowds, where the dragonflies like to play. I love photographing those nimble little acrobats. I have become especially fond of the red ones, but the tiny blue ones have been catching my eye lately as well.



After we walked around the lake for a while, we spent a little time in the Botanic Garden. The garden is divided into different sections that contain different native California trees plants and shrubs. One of our favorite sections is the Redwoods, which is a beautiful grove of redwood trees that provides some peaceful shade from the sometimes overbearing summer heat. If you enjoy hunting lizards, then you will enjoy the California desert area, where dozens of lizards dart in and out among the native cactus. I am not much fond of lizards, so I always wear shorts when I go there, because they are much more likely to run up a pant leg, then a bare, white, thin uncovered leg. LOL.



We spent about 5 hours total in the park, just walking and enjoying the beauty. I did a lot of photography that day, and a lot of brain clearing. I enjoy the Internet, and you know I love Ellipsis, but to me it's a hobby, not a way of life. If the Internet died tomorrow I would miss the interaction and being able to share my photography with folks, but I wouldn't go into withdrawal over it. There is too much beauty and wonder right in my own backyard. :)



So tell me, where do you go to find beauty? Do you ever take time off from blogging to Internet detox? What is your favorite daycation? Tell me everything... I know you want to!

-OndineMonet
"Daycation Detox"
Lake Anza
Tilden Park
Berkeley, California
July 22, 2008
Afternoon

3 comments:

IndigoSunMoon said...

Oh my...what a beautiful place to detox! Your photos always blow me away Carly!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful entry Carly!
Gee I totally applaud you decision to detox! cool!
hugs,natalie

Nancy said...

Boy, what a find. And I so love your photos! Interestingly, I've been memerized with some dragonflies lately and taking their pics too. They are fascinating little creatures indeed.

Maybe some day, you and I will take a walk around Tilden...

Nance