"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million, but I am just as happy as I was when I had $48 million."-Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
It's going to be interesting living out of my car, at least until the finance company repossesses it. Thing are just the dire. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has chosen this coming Thursday, July 31st, as his target day to sign an order to reduce the pay of over 200,000 state employees, Alan included, to the federal rate of $6.35 an hour. He isn't even offering the state minimum level of $8.00 an hour. What that means for us is that we will be homeless in just a few months, Elvis's chemotherapy treatments will have to stop, and we will be putting him to sleep as soon as 2 weeks from now.
We have some food put aside in case of an emergency, enough for a month. I don't know what will happen with our cars, we might sell one of them back, but I don't know where we will get gas money for the one we will keep. I will get rid of all non essential items, such as the Internet. That will happen first. The thing that hurts me the most it the thought of looking at Elvis in the eyes, as I take him to Dr. B's to have him euthanized. What do I say to him, and then how do I live with it? He is at Dr. B's right now, getting the last chemotherapy treatment we will be able to afford. The pain over losing him is more then I can take sometimes. As I write this, and I face head on what is in front of us, I can't even breathe.
This still doesn't have to happen, but I know it will. From everything I have read, the slashed pay rate will probably go well into October. Oh we will get a big fat retroactive paycheck when the politicians finally have their way, but by then my little boy will be gone forever. Forever is a very long time. Now ask me why I will never trust a republican, any republican, again! If I lose the roof over my head I will survive, but Elvis won't. His little life shouldn't end this way.
-OndineMonet
Correction: The federal minimum wage is $6.55 per hour.
