Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Powdered Sugar

"There is nothing more beautiful than the forest clothed to it's very hollow with fresh snow."

-William Sharp

You might have noticed that I didn't post an entry yesterday, did you miss me? LOL. Well, see, as much as I missed posting an entry yesterday, but it is a very good example of how things are for me, as I live with Fibromyalgia these days, especially in the winter. Sometimes I know I have a certain amount of energy to spare, and I have to make choices on how I want to use that energy. Alan and Elvis come first, then comes my photography, then comes blogging. I love blogging, and sharing my thoughts and photographs, but it is after all, at best, a hobby. So, when the news yesterday promised a nice a accumulation of snow at the summit, in the Santa Cruz mountains, Alan and I decided to make a day of it. Snow at that level is a rare occurrence in the Bay Area, although in recent years there has been a few more snow days then in previous years. :)

It was a very good day. Not only did I manage to get a nice number of winter photography done, but I also came up with something a little special for the upcoming Round Robin challenge, "Landmarks." It was a good day for my creativity, but with the cold came a lot of aches and pains, some swollen joints and my blood was a bit elevated after dinner. I am not sure what made it go up. It could have been the pain and tiredness caused by the Fibro, it could have been the talk Alan and I had on the way to the mountains, about the president's stimulus package, and how it just might be a case of "too little too late." Sigh. Of course it might also have been neither of those two things, but rather a just a fact of being a diabetic. Diabetes has a mind of it's own. You can do everything exactly right, and still have to face a rising A1c test result. All you can do is, do the best you can, and try to keep your stress level down.

I was happy playing in the snow yesterday, and I think my photos will reflect that. But today is going to be a lot less active. I have to consider both conditions I deal with, so, except for a trip downtown to the cheese shop, I am going to pretty much be a homebody today. And it's a good day for it! Did you know that today is National Pie day? Yep, it is. And I have big plans for a low maintenance afternoon. I am going to make either a Sugar-free Pumpkin Pie or maybe a Sugar-free Berry Pie. I have a recipe that I got from the Hungry Girl website for a wonderful Pumpkin pie that is only 133 calories per serving. :) I will let you know how it comes out. But for now, enjoy my winter photos, which is proof positive, that it not only rains in California, sometimes it snow also. :)

Enjoy...

People frolicking in the snow at the crossroads of HWY 35 and HWY 9

Alan, holding snow. "Don't you dare throw that at me, Alan!"

I got to hold some snow, briefly, then I threw it at Alan! Tee Hee.

Lovely snow covered hill. I love photographing fences. :)

Is there anything more lovely then flowers in the snow? Especially lavender flowers. :) Purple is one of the hot fashion colors for this spring. :)

Note: Please click on the large photo above. It is a shot of the snow, with the lower mountain range in the back, which eventually hits the beach. It looks a lot better in the larger version.

So tell me, will you make a pie, or at least have a piece of pie in honor of National Pie Day? If so, what kind? What is your favorite pie?

"January is here, with eyes that keenly glow. A frost-mailed warrior striding a shadowy steed of snow."

-Edgar Fawcett

-OndineMonet
"Snow Country"
Santa Cruz Mountains
Hwy 9 at Hwy 35
Woodside, California
January 22, 2008
Afternoon

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Carly, carly...what a lovely entry!

That top photo is magnificent. Is that the one you're entering in the hometown challenge?
My fibro is kicking butt lately. I'm disheartened a bit because I almost thought it had all but disappeared.
Sorry I haven't been around much.
Love,
Nance

Nancy said...

OOPS.
I just re-read. It's for the RR. And you haven't posted that yet.
Sorry about that.