Sunday, December 16, 2007

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #195: Be Nice

"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness."

-Seneca

Weekend Assignment #195: Do something extra nice for someone you know. Which is to say, something above and beyond your general level of niceness. Could be for a spouse, or a friend, or a co-worker, or a child, or someone you've met randomly as you're walking around the mall.

Does this mean I want you to do it and then write about it? No necessarily: Some acts of kindness or niceness are better shared just between those who perform than receive them. See, this is one of the reasons why this Weekend Assignment is different. On the other hand, if you want to share, I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

-John Scalzi, of the blog, By The Way

Be nice? Be NICE? That's our Weekend Assignment? Nice? Hmmmm... how am I supposed to do that? Should I let someone go first in traffic? Nah, that might anger the guy behind me. I know, I could take that spooky spider I see in the corner and set him free in the yard, rather than squishing the life out of him! Nah, it's cold outside, and he might catch a cold. Who needs a spider sneezing on your Christmas lawn ornament? I guess I could volunteer at my favorite charity, Schoclocker's Home For Wayward Cats. No wait, that's right, they close every year about this time for their annual Neuter-off Festival. All neuters, all week. So, what to do, what to do...

I know! Alan did some repairs in the bathroom yesterday and made a HUGE mess. A big, gnarly, splintery mess of a mess. He promised to clean it up. LOLOLOL. His idea of cleaning it up and my idea of cleaning it up, are NOT the same. Oh well, he tackles the big hairy spiders, and the big creepy unknown creepy crawlies, so I will be a good wife and go above and beyond my usual pleasant self and finish the cleaning job for him. And to be extra specially nice, I won't even put him in the dog house for not finishing the job he promised to do in the first place. And if that wasn't bad enough, he managed to beat me at Monopoly last night, without having an actual monopoly! LOL. Honestly Alan! This ought to earn me some points... you know? Tee Hee. Sometimes, showing a little extra understanding to your spouse, is as big as any gift you could give them. :)

-OndineMonet
"Naughty Me"
Berkeley, California
December 15th, 2007
Late Evening

No comments: