"Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better."-Robert Redford
Yum, Persimmons. I hadn't eaten a persimmon in years, until today. I had gone to the hospital to have the blood work done, that I had put off last week, and as I was driving into the parking lot I remembered that there is a Farmer's Market there every Thursday. Wonderful locally grown fruits and vegetables, in all their yummy gloriousness, just sitting in the warm autumn sun, waiting to be snatched up by a woman like me. I was STARVING! LOL. My blood work was for my A1C test, and a fasting potassium and glucose check, so by the time I got to the hospital, I hadn't eaten in about 15 hours. That's a little bit long for me, and actually it is for all diabetics, as one of the first things they teach you in the health education courses I took was to never skip meals. Unfortunately, once ever 4 months, it is necessary to do just that, so that the doctor can get an accurate gauge of how I am doing with my diabetes.
Anyway, the lab technician had a difficult time with my veins, it seems they like to collapse when a needle is inserted... ouch... so needless to say, I was a bit on edge when I finally walked out of the appointment. Thank goodness, that little Farmer's Market was right by the entrance. I appreciate it that my HMO makes it available, right there on the hospital campus. They also had a nice listing of all organic farms and suppliers in the Bay Area counties.
I had a look around at the fabulous fresh tomatoes, grapes and the berries, and finally decided on a nice juicy persimmon. :) Persimmons are delicious, and like I said, it had been forever since I had one. It was a nice treat after a bit of stress. :) Is there anything better then a nice bit of fresh fruits and vegetables on a cool autumn day?
-OndineMonet
"Yum"
Union City, California
November 13th, 2007
