Friday, November 02, 2007

November Is National Diabetes Month

Live in rooms full of light
Avoid heavy food
Be moderate in the drinking of wine
Take massage, baths, exercise and gymnastics
Fight insomnia with gentle rocking or the sound of running water
Change surroundings and take long journeys
Strictly avoid frightening ideas
indulge in cheerful conversations and amusements
Listen to music.

-A. Cornelius Celsus

If the above photo looks a little familiar, it is because I used it for an entry just a couple weeks ago. It was an entry about how much I enjoy cooking in autumn. This year has been especially enjoyable, as I search for recipes that are better suited to my new lifestyle change as a diabetic. I am learning so much about nutrition, and I am constantly surprised to find that a lot of what I thought it meant to be a diabetic has been false. Like the idea that I had to give up all the foods I enjoy. I don't have to give up much of anything, I am simply eating those foods with a slightly different perspective. Too much of a good thing, is never a good thing at all, and all things in moderation means less is usually the healthy way to approach life. It is working for me, I think I am doing pretty well most days, although I do still have those occasional days of frustration, when I just want to hop into bed, and pull the covers over my head, and give up. Thank goodness that doesn't happen all that often anymore. :)

Having diabetes is a challenge, but it is a manageable one. If you have diabetes, then you know exactly what I mean, if you don't, maybe you would consider doing a little research into what it means to be a diabetic. I read in my newsletter from, Diabetes Health Magazine, that nearly "21 million children and adults in the United States, have diabetes and anther 54 million people are at risk. Diabetes is the fifth deadliest disease in the nation, and may well be the most serious health problem facing America today." Now THAT is a frightening thought.

So, if you haven't consulted your doctor about the A1C test, would you consider doing so this month? Do you know if you are at risk for the disease? November 14th, is World Diabetes Day, which was a day created by the United Nations in 2006, when a resolution concerning diabetes was passed by the General Assembly. It's time to encourage each other in education and information about this disease. In it's earliest stages, there are no symptoms, which I find especially cruel. Sometimes folks have it for years, before it is discovered. Sigh. So I think you can understand why I consider a national health care system so important. It will certainly be one of my top five concerns when I make my choice for our next president. So, what do you say, will you take some time this month to educate yourself on diabetes? Come on... for me? I kind of like you, and want you to be reading me in good health, for a long, long time. You know? :)

-OndineMonet
"National Diabetes Month"
Woodside, California
Autumn, 2007
Afternoon

No comments: