Monday, September 17, 2007

He Had It Coming





"I'm not black, I'm O.J."

-O.J. Simpson



Well, here we go again.Well, sort of. There are some definite differences between the arrest of O.J. Simpson yesterday, and his arrest in 1994. Back then, the nation was treated to, or had to endure, a slow speed chase on a Los Angeles freeway. I have heard that was good for Domino's, if the story is true, the had their best night ever, during the hours of the coverage of the chase. On the other hand, David Hasselhoff's Pay-Per-View completely tanked from low ratings. It seems that America's attention was elsewhere. I know I was tuned into the slow speed chase. What would happen? Did he do it? Should I feel bad that someone, who felt so desperate that they would actually end their life? I could only imagine that kind of fear. It was high drama to be sure. I tried to keep an open mind, and followed the case from beginning to end. And in the end, I was sure, completely sure, O.J. was indeed GUILTY of MURDER.

I will never forget the look on Robert Kardashian's face as the verdict of acquittal was read. He looked like he couldn't believe his ears, but not because his client was just found innocent, but more like he couldn't understand why his client wasn't found guilty.I watched this all unfold on a TV at my mother's house. There was a Special Report, and then very quickly, the cameras were turned on in the courtroom.The jury's decision was in. I remember my mother, and I, sitting very quietly, neither of us looking at the other. I remember a sensation in the pit of my stomach, and feeling confused about why I felt this way. What exactly was that sick sensation all about? Was I anticipating that he would be convicted or found innocent? As the court reporter read the verdict aloud, I felt the sick feeling grow. O.J. Simpson was now free.

My opinion of him hasn't changed since then, in fact, I have only lost more and more respect for Simpson, and anyone who willingly associates with him. He is a selfish, mean spirited, self entitled man, who is a danger to society in general. I am glad no one was injured the other day, when he allegedly committed this latest crime, but if it sends him away for a long, long time, then good. It's not easy for me to write this. One of my faults is that I happen to believe that people can be saved, and that should be done to help them if it can be done, but I am not so naive as to believe that are some, who will never be saved, especially when they are their own worst enemy. It has been obvious to me, that O.J. Simpson is just that, his own worst enemy. If he is found guilty, and sent to jail for a long, long time, well, I will feel better about justice, but I think I would have felt better if it had been done in the first place. I know this, the smirk I saw on his face, as he was being arrested early Sunday, gave me no reason to believe that he either wants or needs any help from me. What can you say? I guess it sucks to be him.

O.J. Simpson Held Without Bail (ABC News)

O.J. Simpson Murder Case (Court TV)

-OndineMonet