Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Strawberry Full Moon


"A house is never still in darkness to those who listen intently; there is a whispering in distant chambers, an unearthly hand presses the snib of the window, the latch rises. Ghosts were created when the first man awoke in the night."

-J.M. Barrie




I love photographing the moon! I haven't taken many photographs of it this year however, so I decided a little earlier this this evening, to step out into my garden and see what the moon and the stars were up to. June's full moon is nicknamed the "Strawberry Moon." The larger photo above, is as it appeared over my garden gate a little while ago, with a nice bit of fog adding some color to the photo, as it was making it's way across the sky. Isn't the color magnificent? I couldn't get the details of the moon as clear as I wanted, without losing some of the details of the trees and the edge of the gate, so I switched to B/W mode, and set it to F 3.5 with x 4.0 on the zoom.

Yesterday, I read an interesting article about an optical illusion that occurs with the moon this weekend. I would like to try for that shot, and my best chance might be tomorrow evening. The conditions are supposed to be very clear. I am also going to try to capture the alignment of Venus and Saturn. It's weatherman says it will be extremely warm and clear here in the Bay Area by mid-week next week, so it should be perfect conditions for doing some evening photography. :) Stay tuned!


*Be sure to click on the top photo, to see it in a larger version. You will be able to see some stars in the photo, in the upper right corner.

Full Moon Names (Farmer's Almanac)

Full Moon Offers Mind An Illusion

-OndineMonet
"June's Strawberry Moon"
Berkeley, California
June 30th, 2007
1o:04 PM

4 comments:

Steven said...

Cool. Glad you shot the moon last evening. I saw some news about the same optical illusion. I was considering trying some moon shots but the mosquitoes are something awful at night this time of year.

Suzanne R said...

Stunning photos, Carly! Sorry I haven't been around due to the family crisis -- it's nice to get back and read your posts.

Nancy said...

Fantastic stuff, Carly! I still don't know how to "shoot the moon". Looking forward to your optical illusion!

xo,
Nancy

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I always envy your fabulous moon shots!