Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Lovely One

"Literature and butterflies are the two sweetest passions known to man."

-Vladimir Nabokov

Yesterday, I found this lovely moth on the wall of my shed in the back yard. I was amazed at how it's iridescent wings glowed like glitter sprinkled on sand. I could have just stood in the same place starring at her all day. I had made other plans for the day, so I had to leave, but fortunately she was still there when I got home. After a little research at BugGuide.net, I found out she is an Euchlaena obtusaria, although she also looks a lot like the Euchlaena Marginaria. Both are from the Geometridae family. I will have to do a little more research into them, because I was quite taken with this moth and I would like to learn more about it. I will be on the lookout for her and others like her for the rest of the summer. She is one more thing to love about a summer evenings. Who knows, maybe I will try setting up the tripod and doing some evening photography. :)While looking around tonight, for information about this moth, I came across an article about the vampire moth. Very strange and intriguing creature to be sure! I would really like to see one for myself... it is fascinating. :)

Skin-Piercing Vampire Moth Vants Your Blood
(Article) TreeHugger.com

-OndineMonet
"The Lovely One"
Berkeley, California
June 27, 2007
10:00 AM

2 comments:

Tammie Jean said...

She is beautiful! And you've really captured her in this great photo!

I do the same thing - I become interested in learning more about the things I see or photograph. Lately I've been looking up the different kinds of mushrooms that are growing in my yard :)

Steven said...

Nice moth! I think you are on the right track with the ID. One or the other. Good shot.