Thursday, November 02, 2006

Somewhere In Time

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure."

-Mark Twain

Here are a few more pictures from my visit last week, to historic Virginia City, Nevada. I love this little town. It is an awesome feeling to know I am looking at many of the same buildings Mark Twain did, when he lived here all those years ago. A place like this really speaks to the history buff in me, but it's not just the ghosts that roam the boarded sidewalks of Virginia City that keep me coming back every year, it is also the amazing architecture of the old-west buildings and churches, that never cease to amaze and inspire me.

Speaking of inspiration, the author and screenwriter of the film, "Somewhere In Time," Richard Matheson, drew his inspiration for the story from his desire to travel back in time to meet the stage actress, Maud Adams, after he saw her photo displayed in Piper's Opera House, in Virginia City. I have always loved that movie... my zodiac sign is Cancer, and you know what romantics we can be! :)

My walk around town...

The Whole Town Is Considered A Monument.

This miner greets up upon entering Virginia City, from the Reno direction.

The Story of the Suicide Table...

"So called because three previous owners are reported to have comitted suicide because of heavy losses over this table..."

You can read more details, about the unlucky table, at Snopes.com. Scroll all they way down the page, the reference is near the end.

The actual "Suicide Table."

A mining certificate from the Exchecquer Mining Company.

19th Century stamp and certificate pad.

The Virginia City Cemetery. It was kind of spooky.

Nevada Centennial Marker #13 Comstock Lode.

Piper's Opera House, Virginia City.

Internet Movie Database: Trivia, "Somewhere in Time."


-OndineMonet
Sights Of Virginia City, Nevada
October 25th, 2006

2 comments:

DesLily said...

i'm not good at dates and names but any "visual" of anything "old west" I really enjoy seeing!!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Beginning my run through the two weeks since I was last caught up here. I am SO going to take you to Tombstone if you ever get out to AZ. You'll love it!