Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Polyphemus Moth

"Literature and butterflies are the two sweetest passions known to man."

-Vladimir Nabokov

I saved this back this moth from my weekly butterfly postings, because of all the butterflies and moths I photographed at the Conservatory of Flowers, this is the one which fascinated me the most. It was the largest of the display, with a wingspan of nearly 6 inches. Unfortunately, they didn't get many of the larvae of this type, so there was only a few to be seen. This girl is a little wing damaged, she had probably emerged just after my visit the week before. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see her "birth," as I had been watching her chrysalis with a good amount of anticipation.

The exhibit also had Luna moths, but they were early on in the exhibit, around late March,which was before I got a chance to go. I bet you are wondering how I know for sure that this is a female? Simple, the males have a feathery antenna as opposed to the smooth, stick-like ones on the female. :) I learned so much about them this past two seasons, cross your fingers for me that the conservatory will bring them back next year. :) I promise to take lots and lots of pictures. :)

My good friend Steven, has been posting an amazing series on his AOL journal, chronicling the life of a Monarch. He started with a caterpiller, and will take us on the journey, as it becomes a beautiful Monarch butterfly. If you haven't been by, you must drop by and see for yourself... it's awesome! :) The series begins here, and as of yesterday's posting he was on day 16!

-OndineMonet
Polyphemus Moth (Female) Antheraea polyphemus
Conservatory of Flowers
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, Ca
October, 2006
Afternoon

4 comments:

DesLily said...

the moth is gorgeous!

I wanted to stop by and wish you and yours a great Thanksgiving!.. have a good day and a full belly!!

Charley said...

Have a great holiday!
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Steven said...

It is a gorgeous moth! Love the color :-)
They have the most interesting set of antenna I've ever seen. True night flyers and they are huge!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

That is an amazing shot, Carly, one of your best flutterbys!