Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Last Day Of Summer

The morrow was a bright September morn;
The earth was beautiful as if newborn;
There was nameless splendor everywhere,
That wild exhilaration in the air,
Which makes the passers in the city street
Congratulate each other as they meet.

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

T
he sun yesterday was so bright! The air was really cool, there was some light dew overnight, so everything was glistening. All the roses and hydrangea,reminded me of how stunning life is, early in the morning. It was so gorgeous. I had to leave the house really early to make a doctor's appointment by 8:00 am. I am usually asleep at that time, so I have been missing that late September sun of the last couple weeks. I am learning to appreciate the sun, and the warmth a bit more then I used to. I have never been a summer girl, well, not until recently. :)

The last couple weeks a raccoon has been visiting the garden, and bold creatures that they are, my raccoon likes to come up to the back door to visit with Elvis. He is not too happy about our newest visitor, and to be honest, they kinda frighten me a bit. They are so beautiful to look at though. I am thinking of removing one of the screens and setting up the tripod. I don't want to approach them the way I did the opossums, as I learned they are more likely to carry rabies then most of the nocturnal creatures that come by the yard. There is still a lot of fruit and vegetables to pick, so that there won't be any encouragement for them to continue to visit. But soon, even if the raccoons move on to greener pastures, we will begin hearing the bats that like to hang up in the Juniper trees. Autumn is just a day away! :)

-OndineMonet
"Late September"
Wednesday, September 20th, 2006
Late Afternoon

3 comments:

Globetrotter said...

Ugh! I hate bats! I had one in my house once. It came down the chimney. Majorly creeped me out.

I'm glad the raccoon can't get near Elvis. Racoons scare me , too.
Gorgeous flower, btw!

Charley said...

I love the fact that you're feeling better :)

Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Karen Funk Blocher said...

We used to get raccoons grabbing Dad's corn behind our house in Manlius. No, not out of his hand! Off the stalks. I don't think there are any raccoons in AZ, just coatimundi. I almost saw one once on Mount Lemmon. Missed it by that much!