Monday, August 14, 2006

The 2,996 Project

"Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory, as the wish to forget it."

Michel de Montaigne

In less then a month, America will observe the 5th anniversary of one of the darkest days in our history. The anniversary of the September 11th, terrorist strike against the United States. 2,996 people lost their lives that day. Some worked in the World Trade Center, some at the Pentagon, others aboard American Airlines Flights, 11, and 175, and United Airlines, Flights 77, and 93. Also killed that day, were members of the New York City Police department, and the New York City Fire department.

There is a project going on right now, which will honor those lost to us that day, it is called, "2,996 A Tribute To The Victims Of 9/11." And you can help. If you visit that web site, you can sign up to write a special tribute to one of people who were lost to the world that day, on your personal blog. The organizers of the project will email you the name of a person, who is still available from the list. It's not about politics, it's not an opportunity to express your opinion of the world, post 9/11, it's a chance to share about the life of someone who was among the 2996 murdered that day. It's an opportunity to share a little bit about who, and what we all lost that day. I already have the name of who I will be paying tribute to, and in a strange kind of way, it is helping me to heal a little to know I can share with you about someone who touched so many lives.

If you would like to help make a difference, and help us all heal a little more, simply click on the graphic below, or the one on my sidebar, and you will be redirected to the 2,996 Project site. I want to thank my friend Patrick, for telling me about this important project. He has also been assigned a name, and will be writing a tribute to one of the lost. I hope you will consider joining us. The project still needs volunteers, the last time I checked there was still over 1,000 names which had not been assigned to someone for tribute. As my friend Patrick said, "we can do better then that." We should always remember those we lost that day, and what they meant to the world.





-OndineMonet
"Never Forget"
Santa Cruz, California
August 11, 2006
Afternoon

2 comments:

Suzanne R said...

I have signed up and I'm looking forward to getting more information about blogging for this commemoration.

Cindy said...

I signed up yesterday. thanks for spreading the word. xo