Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Interlude


"No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees, no fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds...November."

-Thomas Hood

Can you tell I am missing autumn? :) The rain storm that was promised for today, never really got here...at least it didn't get to Berkeley. Oh there was cloud cover, and the air felt thick, like just before a big downpour, but the rain never did come. Somehow, I think it made me a little sad. I think I had been looking forward to the way everything smells after it rains. With summer only a few weeks away, this was being called the last interlude of cool weather before the heat of summer invades. Sigh. As much as it hurts my body when it's cold outside, it stimulates my mind and my senses just as much. I think clearer...everything seems to focus better. The world just seems to turn more gently, when it's raining. And when it rains in autumn...well...THAT is when I feel most alive.

I took this photo in Nevada, in the afternoon of a day in late October. It had been raining earlier in the day, but at this point there was just a heavy mist in the air. The temperature was cool, not cold, but I was really glad I had my warm brown sweater with me. There was inspiration everywhere. The trees directly behind me, were lit up with bright, new yellow leaves that looked like perfect lemon drops. And when the sun did peak through the clouds, and managed to dance off the leaves, it almost looked like golden tears, falling to the earth. Sigh. As melancholy as it all sounds...it was more dreamy then I can even say. Sensual beyond reason.

It was the end of October, but the November man was on my mind. He tends to invade my thoughts on days like that. And days like today. He will always be November to me, he was falling leaves, he was that chill in the air, he was the music playing on the radio, he was the first and last bite of autumn fruit. And every time we parted...I couldn't quite remember what he looked like. He caused me to go blind. He still does. The one thing I do remember, even after 20 + years is the way his eyes dance, that sparkle of life...so clear...so blue. He was beyond reason.

Musical Interlude...

Falling By Lablanc & Carr

I think about winter, when I was with him
And the snow was falling down
Warmed by the fire, I love being by him
When there's no one around

'Cause I'm falling, I'm falling
I'm falling...in love with you

I think about summer, my head was swimming
You wrote my name in the sand
We walked together, hoping forever
Please don't let go of my hand

'Cause I'm falling, I'm falling
I'm falling...in love with you
In love with you

The fall and the springtime, and like in-between times
Your here and then your gone away
And I just wanted to say
Won't you please, please stay

'Cause I'm falling, I'm falling
I'm falling...in love with you
In love with you...In love with you.

-OndineMonet
"Like In-between Time"
October 29, 2005
Late Afternoon
Nevada

2 comments:

DesLily said...

ahhh, you know me and forests.. can't get enough of them.. beautiful shot Carly.. I just love the woods and visioning walking thru the trees.. it's like, the best thought I can have.

Charley said...

I was just thinking today that I needed to get out and do a little fishing, some camping, and general relaxation in the woods.

And then you post the perfect spot!

Thanks!
Be well,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage